Fly Tying
Bass

Pheasant all the way =)

Hi guys!

Ive only tied flies for a month or so now, but during this time it has been intensed.

What ive learned so far is that i really love pheasant feathers to work with.

I dont know if it will cach fish but it sure looks cool =)

Deer Hair Emerger

IPB Image

Klinkhamer

IPB Image

Pheasant tail

IPB Image

Wow that is one fine looking pheasant tail. The klink could probably use a little more hackle, but that pheasant tail is impressive.

Sweet looking flies Bass. I like tying with pheasant too. Very versatile material and easy to work with. I really like the effect you get from the colors.

Pheasant (ringneck) is also one of my favorite materials as well...I was lucky enough to inherit 11 full skins of it so i should be set for a few years at least! Nice PT btw. The one I usually do uses 6 tail fibers that arent cut off till the end. not quite as "clean" looking but still highly effective and takes less than 2 min to tie a basic variant of it and catches trout with the best of em.

Nice flies all (I agree with Crotalus that the parachute should have more hackle)

If you want to branch out, it's worth trying some color variations. PT is widely available in olive (Al Troth strongly preferred olive to natural for his nymphs). I like burgundy PT nymphs. If you can't find the feathers in that color, try dying a few yourself with RIT dye (scarlet) for 20-30 minutes. They will come out a bit darker than the store-bought kind, because those are usually bleached before dying.

Firstly.......Hope you all have a fab Christmas, and get what you want off Santa!!! :hyst:

Yes.....We have Frank Sawyer to thank for the pheasant tail nymph....I luckily fish some of the beats where he keepered which is always good. Of course, we can always thank him for the killler bug as well, as it is very much a killer!!!

The pheasant tail is a very versatile pattern, and can be tied in any sizes and can be either a nymph or dry.....

Regards

Chris

The pheasant tail is one of the 10 flies that I would never leave home without. Great looking flies and keep trying to find variations with the PT. I have made mini buggers using brown marabou and a body of PT and they seemed to work great for me.

Hi guys!

Yeah its a great material to work with =) Ill have a look for olive feathers! Sounds hot :)

Right now im hoping that i will find feathers with fibers a little longer than the ones i got at home right now. These are just a bit to short to be perfect.. but maybee thats to much to ask lol

The klink could have more hackle, i traded alot but shorter hackle to less but longer =) I guess it got a little to little.

Still floats good at home, but im not sure how it would work in fishing situations.

But they sure float alot better now when the fibers are pointing upwards instead of downwards like i had them at first.

//Bass

Most of you probably have the Jack Garthsides page bookmarked with the article on uses of pheasant feathers but how many of you know about Terry Helleckson's page and article on pheasant??? On Terry's page click the Trivia tab and the article is under there.

Here's both:

Terry Helleckson

Jack Garthside

Hope this helps everyone

Enjoy.

Fatman