Fly Tying
Linesides

What books did you get for Christmas?

I got Wooly Wisdom (400 patterns and great instructions and tips and the BEST book on salt water I have seen.

Saltwater Flies of the Northeast by Angelo Pelusso, this book should be the bible of every NE tyer.

When I first started in the FTF group I asked about a NE only book. HERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over 450 DETAILED pics and patterns and some wicked awesome artwork and photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the best re-gift ever.

My dad gave me his hard-copy of Bergman's 'Trout' that his dad gave him for Christmas in 1966! :headbang:

My wife gave me Mike Radencich's new book, "Classic Salmon Fly Materials." The book was scheduled to come out in January, so she put in a pre-order to Amazon. It shocked the heck out of her when it arrived in the mail a couple of days later!

It also shocked the heck out of me when I opened it, because I was expecting an IOU to be fulfilled in January.

This new book is even better than Mike's "Tying the Classic Salmon Fly." Instead of concentrating on specific flies, it shows how to use each of the materials commonly used in classic Atlantic salmon patterns.

John

I got Flyfishers Guide to Michigan, it has maps of all the rivers and breaks them down individually, with species, hatches and so on. It should be a valuable research tool.

I got a copy of "Fly Fishing Small Sreams" by John Gierach and "The Compleat Schwiebert" by Ernest Schwiebert. I've read JG's book twice already. Schwiebert's book is a collection of short pieces that are amazing reading.

Nomad, I have that one - it's a great reference for scouting new water.

I got .....

"Troutbum" by John Geriach

"Where the trout are as big as your leg" by John Geriach

"Standing in a river waving a stick" by John geriach

"Even brook trout get the blues" by John Geriach

If you cant tell I enjoy Geriach's writting style :lol:

I got a copy of "Tying Emergers" by Jim Schollmeyer and Ted Leeson. Have only just started into it. It has 217 patterns with a total of 2,200 step-by-step photos. Awesome!!

I also got a copy of the "Fly Tyer's Bible." Although it was written for the trout and salmon fisherman, I've found several flies in it that I think will work with Panfish. I've identified several that I want to tie, & I'm starting to search the 'net for supplies. I will probably end up making some substitutions. For instance, one of the patterns calls for some type of "hair" that looks like Krystal Flash to me. It's for the tail of the fly & I'll probably just use KF. Another pattern calls for orange seal dub, and since I'm going to be getting some orange ice dub for a wooly bugger-like pattern I found the other day, I'll probably just use that.

Hope Santa was good to all of you.

BB

The wife went overboard and I must be the luckest guy on the fourm. Got a Gerstner tool box from Orvis and a bamboo rod made by R. Teeter of Rocky River. Can't wait to get back up to NC to try it on the trout streams. May have to break down and try some pan fishing here in Fla. first.

Terry T.

OOPS. What BOOK did I get for Christmas... Well, can you tell I was excited! Only got one book - about WWII women pilots towing targets at Camp Davis (WASPS). Features my mother in law.