Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bear Coat

Mad River Report

That sure is a fat 'bow, BC

headbang.gif

Looks like your water temps are on a steady climb. Won't be long until you hit the "Magic Number"

QUOTE (Shoe @ Mar 31 2004, 11:11 AM)
That sure is a fat 'bow, BC

headbang.gif

Looks like your water temps are on a steady climb. Won't be long until you hit the "Magic Number"

I am keeping an eye on it. wink.gif

I knew as soon as it hit, it felt heavy. biggrin.gif

It's good to see that there are a couple other mad river fishermen on here. I'm from Bellefontaine, which is about 6 miles north of West Liberty. The Mad is my home river. I go to school in Canton though and don't get much of a chance to get home to fish it. Actually I'm planning to make my way over there on Friday morning. Any hope of seeing you there?

Burton7mjb,

Sorry about missing you tomorrow. I can normally manage to get out about once a week and that is for about an hour or two at a time. sad.gif

I hope you have yourself a good time and I hope that you don't have the same problem that I had today.

After waiting for an hour for the Trout to start rising, I managed to get in a few casts when a couple spinnerbait fishermen waded in the water just in front of me muddying up the water and killing the rise. They were not quiet about it either. mad.gif Needless to say that finished the rest of my day on the River. sad.gif However I did manage to get 1 rise prior to them getting there but did not connect. So It wasn't a total waste.

I think we will probably be able to hook up this Summer after you get out of school. wink.gif

Today's Fishing Report: April 8, 2004

Time: 11:30 am til 2:00 pm.

Air Temperature: 59 degrees F.

Water Temperature: Unknown (I left my thermometer on my Flytying Bench)

Winds: WSW, Average 16 mph, Gusts 33 mph.

Cloud Cover: 40%

Precipitation: 0.00 in.

Barometric Pressure: 29.65 ^

Hatch: None visible

Type of Bait and Name: Soft Hackle Fly: Spring Black #14

Description of Fish caught and Number: None

Comments: The River was in the normal. range. Only saw a couple of rises. I did see one Stonefly and one March Fly floating down the River, other thatn that not much visible activity.

I did end up making it out and caught a 12 inch rainbow. I wasn't getting much action with a bead head pheasant tail, but then came upon a slow pool downstream of a large tree that came across the whole stream and noticed consistent and aggressive rises, so I tied on a dry (blue dubbing, brown hackle) and hooked up. I noticed some small (around size 20) blue duns (blue mayflies ??) in that area, but didn't see any before then.

marcus

i come home from school may 4. i'll be ready.

I fish our beloved Mad River, too! I more or less started to fish it seriously last summer/fall, and I have already been out several times this spring. Still getting to know the river, though I live too far away to go more than once a week. Anyways, I'm wondering where you guys are catching all these 'bows in the Mad. All I've ever caught are browns (not that I'm complaining). I see that there are rainbows on the access signs, too. Are they concentrated in the upstream areas or do they mostly fall for certain techniques??

It looks like we have a small group of guys within driving distance of the Mad. What do you guys think about a small get together some Saturday morning? I am only about 1 1/2 hrs away and would love to meet some of you guys and maybe do a little fishing.

What do you guys think?

A group fish sounds good. I'm pretty flexible after May 4, so name the time and place. I kind of wonder how well you can fish together on the Mad, unless you go towards Urbana or farther south. I do most of my fishing around the West Liberty access locations, wherewhich the river is relatively narrow and really only fishable independently. I'll offer a disclaimer if we do decide on a group fish. I'm a beginner, and won't have much to offer, except a heart for fishing.

Well, fishin' in May is right out for me: I'll be in Vietnam for pretty much the whole month. biggrin.gif Love to go either in late April or sometime after I return.

I am always game for meeting other at the River. But Burton is right about the West Liberty area. I have been out with another person before and it is not bad if each takes turns on different holes. In most places, the River is no wider that 20 feet across and some times not even 5 feet.

Weekends up here turn out to be a regular zoo too, especially in the Spring Months. That is why I usually get out during the Week. Not much competition during that time.

But if someone calls a date, time and place, I will be there, weekend or not. As far as that goes, with or without my Fly Rod, but you can count on my Fly Rod being with me. wink.gif I only live 15 miles from the River near West Liberty so it would not take me long to get there. biggrin.gif

I do have one weekend that I cannot avoid attending and that is May 8th and 9th. Other than that, I have an Open Book. I hope to see you at the River.

15 minutes, eh? I'm quite a fan of fishing during the week myself. its nice to contend with only the muskrats (??) and not have to worry about other fishermen. where exactly do you live?

QUOTE (burton7mjb @ Apr 14 2004, 09:14 PM)
15 minutes, eh? I'm quite a fan of fishing during the week myself. its nice to contend with only the muskrats (??) and not have to worry about other fishermen. where exactly do you live?

Burton,

It is actually about 25 minutes, I drive an Old Red Jeep Pickup Truck and we don't travel very fast, usually about 45 to 50 mph. But she is dependable. I live over by Kiser Lake.

Most of the time when I am out there I very seldom see anyone else, but when I do they are very polite Fishermen. I have had only a couple of time when they were disrespectful.

I am planning on being out tomorrow around noon over on Upper Valley Pike, where I call the Twin Bridges a few miles south of West Liberty. Maybe I will see you there. wink.gif

Yeah. I've never had any problems with other fishermen. Its always nice though to get to the hole and know that someone else hadn't been there just 5 minutes ago. I probably won't make it back to the river until next Saturday (24th), then after that not until early May. but I'll remember to keep an eye out for the jeep.

Wow, I will be on the Mad tomorrow, too. Planning to go with a guy I know who has never fly fished for trout before, so it should be an adventure. smile.gif With all the rain so far this spring -- and my bad timing -- I've found myself doing a lot of fishing further upstream just to avoid high water, but that won't be the case now. I have never fished from the Millerstown Rd. access so I'm thinking we'll explore there at least a little bit. Anyone familiar with that area??

Sign in to follow this