Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelheadhunter

help me with a good wooly bugger

i just started tying flies and i would like some help on the proper names of materials and what their names may be in stores. can u tell me a good epoxy and some good thread to use. i fish for steelhead in fall and spring in many rivers flowing into lake erie in ohio. please share with me some successful patterns u use in these rivers if u fish them

thank you

We have a data base with lots of steelhead flies tied for the Great Lakes tributarys.

with great simple patterns for Buggers, egg flies and Wigglers.

I'm not sure what fly for steelhead would need epoxy but maybe you mean

(Head cement)

Welcome aboard

OSD.

Here is a picture of my skein bugger. All you need is white marabou for the tail, add some krystal flash strands. For the body, I use bright orange chenille and white saddle hackle. I use bead or cone heads for all of my buggers to get it down quickly.

post-26-1077425650.jpg

Hey steelie, I like that pattern and I think I will tie a few of those and give them a shot.

Materials: marabou, chenille, hackle, beadhead/cone and flash is always nice to add.

As for fishing the Erie tribs, I second the bugger. I usually tie on a bugger and drop (using florocarbon) a suckerspawn or egg. Colors I like are black, olive and white w/pink. Spawn colors white and pink.

Good luck tying, it is fun to create your own flies, catch fish with them and save $$$$$. Then you can start altering the patterns to try different things.

thanks for the pattern it looks killer for steelhead especially in the chagrin, where i have fount they especially prefer white. i like the lead weight on the head to get it down fast. il tye up one of those right now.

oh ya...do you tye up the hackle to the top and wind towards the hook or tye the hackle at the bend ant wrap it towards the eye?

awesome pic and advice steelie junkie thanks for all the help

the hackle for a bugger is tied in at the hook bend and wound forward to the eye.

In some patterns (a Stimulator is one) the hackle is tied in at the eye and wound back towards the bend. But this method requies a rib to be counter wound over the hackle to the eye to bind the hackle down.

This is my favourite Steelhead bugger.

user posted image

Ken cool.gif

Sign in to follow this