Fly Tying
cornmuse

Mustad Keel Hook

I have 5 packs of 10 that were donated to our Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Willoughby, Ohio Program. We’d be interested in tying a seedless bass fly. 

I'm pretty sure I have a partial box of Keel Hooks - somewhere in my gear (they were stainless, of course, and by Eagle Claw).  If I can find them I'll gladly send them to whoever can use them - gratis.. I remember trying to use them - without a lot of success as a beginning tyer in the mid-seventies -and I was pretty much self taught using what few books I could find (this was long before the explosion in our passion on the saltwater side of things..),  I also remember tying up the Blonde series on standard hooks - then never having any particular success with them myself... Once I was well on my way as a tyer and finally getting an order or two from one shop or other don't believe I ever got a single request for anything done up on a keel hook... 

I'm not sure this would be considered a "keel hook"  The Mustad 3777.  Still can't post pictures, so you'll have to google it.  I use it for bass and panfish flies.  Having started tying when Mustad was often the only hook available and not very sharp out of the box, this is the only Mustad hook I use for fly tying.  Nice and sharp.  

This is a Mustad 79666 Keel Hook as I would load it in my Nor-vise. Second image is the hook as it would ride in the water IF you weighted the shank.  The third image is a quick and dirty tie of a shank weighted pattern which would ride the way shown.  This same hook could be used in  a Blond type pattern without a weighted shank, with the lighter color on the shank, and then a wrap up the shank to the front where the darker hair would be tied in.  I will try and post one that way later.  

IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4750.JPG

OOPS the images in my last post came up in reverse order, and I can't edit the other post at present.  

2 hours ago, petegray said:

Do what you can with what you have...

4 hours ago, denduke said:

some hooks are bendable..

Great flies, I'm going to have to blow the dust off the bass spinning gear bag and see if I still have any of those hooks.  Look like some great flies for those river smallies.