Fly Tying
Alex C.

Who's Helped You The Most in 2006?

Who's helped your tying the most this year? It could be someone who has helped you learn certain tecniques, or someone who has just inspired you to be a better tyer. Doesn't have to be someone from FTF either.

For me it is tough to point out one single person. Graham is always inspiring me to tie better and be more creative. WickedCarpenter doesn't get nearly the props that he deserves, that guy can tie anything he wants to. Someone else that has really helped me this year as far as tying goes would be TroutBum. I started playing with Full Dressed Salmon Flies and Wets and he was always there to answer my dumb questions.

So thanks guys! :cheers:

pretty much everyone on this board, especially fellow swappers. I always push myself when tying swap flies to do the best that i can.

the pattern database has provided motivation to try new and different patterns

:D The people who have helped this :baby: in the woods, is everybody who helped answer some at times may have seemed like silly questions, but their responses where always given with real :help: in mind and I am eternaly grateful for all their advice and I would like to take this opportunity to wish everybody a very happy New Year and all the best in you fishing endeavours in the coming year. :)

Well first, I was lucky enough to find the FTF site in September of this year I believe, and then, I got to read and learn from all of you as you discussed flies, tying them, the use of materials and all things related. It has been tremendous.

I've been enthralled by beautiful "Classic Salmon Flies" and tempted by far less artsy Bluegill, Sunfish, Perch poppers. It's been great.

Dave Carne has been great to me. I love the flies by Petie Mann (Davie), Ronn Lucas, and many of you whose names I can't immediately recite, but I am learning and making contact.

It comes down to this: I didn't know a thing about tying flies when I got here, but I wanted to try. By watching, reading and trying, I am learning, even though somewhat slowly, and its all thanks to all of you.

Thanks again!

Ray

I would Have to say Charlie Craven is the one that is help me the most in 2006. At the time this all happened I had been tying for 15 plus years, self taught. Last fall had stopped by his shop to talk to him about his advanced tying class, he talked to me for a minute and he recommeded that I start off with beginning tying class. Stood there for a minute with my pride hurt a little. Thought about for a minute and said would do I have to loose.

Took his 6 weeks begining class, learned something every class. Best investment I ever made regarding my fly tying.

Then followed it up with his adavanced class.

Then to top it all off met a great fishing partner in the beginnig class. Just as hard core as I am. Won't let a little cold or snow stop him.

We will be fishing New Years day in Cheeseman Cayon, South Platte river. My Guess is aprox. 4ft snow in that area.

Carlp

The member’s of this forum and the flies everyone ties is just unbelievable. Great motivation!

My friends always have helped not only in 2006 but also throughout the years. I also have to credit the trout; they always helped me to become a better fly-fisherman and tyer.

Many thanks!

Happy New Year!!!!

Well, I've gotten a lot of good advice from a number of people, both on this board and another that I frequent. What has made the biggest difference, though, is that I've had the opportunity to actually sit across the table from Plumbob and to watch and ask questions, not just once, but several times. All the explanations in the world can't compare to a hands-on session with a really good tier. I may never tie them as pretty as Bob does, but my flies look a whole lot better than they did a year ago.

A lot of reading and searching here helped greatly. Thanks to all! :headbang:

But two people in particular from the site would be KRC and SD....Thanks guys! :headbang:

Everyone on this site especially Dave Carne for his record long discription on tying Salmon flies. Also the local Orvis shop people for all their help. I've improved ALOT since last year.

I would have to say the drinking, uh, "tying" sesions at Wickedcarpenters (Brent) house have been a great help. He has taught me alot, given me a ton of materials, and he turned me on to this site.