Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyter 1

Dyeing pheasant feathers

I have his book...the formula for olive green is:

2 tablespoons Rit Kelly Green #32

1/2 tablespoon Rit tan #16

1/2 tablespoon of Rit gold #23

This is added to 25 cups of water and 1/4 cup white vinegar.

The dyes are working liquids made from the powder.

I would recommend this book..it will pay for itself in short order if you tie a lot.

Hope that helps,

Hot Tuna

The easiest way to dye an olive color is to dye the feather a lemon yellow using yellow Rit. Then dip the feather in a black Rit bath(separate bath) and watch closely. This can make a beautiful olive. If you want a slight green, dip the feather then into a Kelly Green bath.

One thing about Rit Dyes...the colors come and go...Gold is no longer available, a mixture of Golden Yellow and Tan can make Gold, Pink is gone, Avocado is gone, Charcoal Gray is Gone, Neon colors gone etc.

Use any yellow dye and dye yellow and any black dye and dip in black..yellow and black make olive! Try this on a neck. Dye a neck deep lemon yellow and dip into black...you can get various shades of a beautiful olive. I make sure the black bath is not strong, so a little time is needed to get the color.

Hope this helps!

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

Polly Rosborough highly recommended The Putnam line of dyes in his book but found them hard to get on the West coast. These same colors are now made by Cushing. They used to be union dyes (wool and cotton) in Polly's day like RIT is but now Cushing makes the dyes separate so you aren't wasting half the dye down the drain. Bill

http://www.earthguild.com/products/dyes/dyecushi.htm