Fly Tying
skater

First Muddler

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how I did on my first muddler please dont hold anything back. Also hows my picture, Its one of my first also. Thanks

Mike

post-3672-1167796424_thumb.jpg

I have never seen that muddler pattern before, but you done a decent job on the spun head!! keep up the good work.

Dustin.

Nice job you might want to squeeze the hair tighter together, pinch your fingers together on both hands then place them on either side of the hair and push hard. But first you should use a little less hair and spin it on as a collar. if the collar does not work out unspin it and try again. when you spin you have to watch that no hairs go cross ways under the thread, just make sure the thread goes between the hair.

It looks to me like you have a very good grasp on what it takes to tie this pattern.

good job,kt

dont hold anything back

OK, if you insist.

Its not a bad fly, and if that's your first attempt at spinning deer hair its really pretty impressive.

Its not a muddler, though.

It has a spun deer hair head, as does a muddler. However, it also has what looks to be a marabou tail, as does a woolly bugger. Would you call it a woolly bugger? Neither would I.

Don't get me wrong, I think half the fun of tying is trying new things and tweaking existing patterns. There is a limit, though, to how much you can change before you have a fly that really cannot be called the same name as the original. I can't tell you just where the line is, but I think you've crossed it on this one. Call it whatever you want, just don't call it a muddler.

Hi Skater, even though you may not have followed the muddler recipe, that's a nice looking fly. It shows that you have a lot of potential as a flytier, and what you have there ought to catch fish.The spun deer hair looks pretty good, but it could be tighter. Keep working at it.

BB

The original pattern is a hassle anyway with the collar and all those feathers and whatnot. I like it. I bet that is a fish catcher for sure. Like has been said, the head could be tighter but not bad for an early attempt to be sure. I really like the squirrel wing. That might add a slightly different element to the fly.