Fly Tying
breambuster

Which Do You Prefer?

Here are a pictures of two very similar flies. The one with the bead head was tied according to the pattern in Schollmeyer's "Nymph" book. The hook is as close as I could come to the one he used, but it isn't the same & getting the bead head on it was really hard. So, instead, I tried bead chain eyes, and I think I like it better. It may not be accurate, though, to an biologist.

But tell me which you prefer.

post-747-1168041623_thumb.jpg

post-747-1168041883_thumb.jpg

It looks great...as long as the bead chain eyes don't get in the way preventing hookups and it doesn't ride upside down.

You are right on, Alec. Yes, it's a 37160.

I hadn't thought about the bead chain making in run upside down. I'll have to give it a try before I tie up any more of them. Would tying the bead chain to the bottom of the shank make any difference?

Thanks

BB

Bead chain is hollow and light so, my guess is, that it won't make any difference....worth trying it out to see though.

Great looking tie, Steeldrifter. I really like that. It looks like we are using the same hook. A 37160. Mine is a size #12. What size hook & bead are you using? And did you have to bend the hook to get the bead on. I really have a tough time getting the bead to go around that sharp bend in the hook.

BB

try a slotted bead!!! it should go past the bend of that hooks a bit easyer.