Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryanfly15

Pick your poison.

I know you guys and gals have talked and wrote about what one fly you would want to fish with for the rest of your life. Great question. I loved reading the responses. Now I thought about this:

If you had to pick one "style", which one would it be(dries, nymphs, or streamers)? This means you have for example all the nymphs possible, but can not fish with dries or streamers ever again.

Which one?

I love dry fly fishing, but not much around my dwelling. ive_been_ripped.gif

I do well with streamers and always catch fish (my choice of one fly was a bugger). wallbash.gif

But my answer is going to be nymphs. Hope you folks will holla at me so I can read your responses. wink.gif

i would have to say probably streamers. I love dry fly fishing, but you have to pick your times for it to be effective. If I am going to be fishing all day you know you will throwing some streamers.

john

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That's tough. I know what's most productive. Which would be a pink bunny leech. But, if I had one fly that I could only fish. I'd have to say Spey Flies. Plus, I can tie them somewhat similar to a leech. LOL.

I have to agree Bryan. Nymphs would be my choice also. The majority of a fish's diet will be nymphs and if you tie some unweighted they can be fished like a wet fly or emerger.

Now, if you'd only learn to a tie a few classic nymph patterns instead of always making up your own, you'd be fine. As a teacher, I think you should be able to learn to read a recipe.

You'll be teaching your daughter to tie before you know it. Or maybe you should sign her up to learn from someone who can read a recipe.

Tight lines lad. Stay out of the trees.

If I had my way, and the $$, I would fish drys on a Montana spring creek every day for the rest of my life. But, saltwater fish are such kick-ass fun I would probably end up missing them too much before too long. So, streamers..., no drys...no, streamers...no, drys.... dunno.gif

Bryan,

you left out a catergory.....Sliders/Divers.....although the topwater action in Ky is limited to about 7 months of the year, I would have to say they are my favorites. I just love it when a huge smallie or a massive gar smashes a big, bulky popper or diver. There's nothing like a a fish splintering the silence of calm water with a death lunge!!! REALLY gets the heart pumping!!! wink.gif