Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
captaincondor

Lead Body

Hi there

I am curious if lead bodies in nymphs are necessary? The reason I ask is becuase when i fish i use split shot on my line which sinks it down anyway so i was wondering what the real purpose is.

Thanks

Connor

You probably do not need the lead in the fly if you are already using it on your leader. The fly will be lighter and be able to drift more naturally in the current. The key thing is being able to fish the fly in the right zone.

It can be helpful in very heavy or turbulent water. It will help the fly break the heavy surface currents and get in to the slower current that is closer to the bottom. This means your fly is in the strike zone longer and not zipping by over their heads. Usually I have splitshot on the line and a weighted fly in such conditions.

I tie a few patterns with non-lead wire or tungsten sheet material and a few flies without weight. That way I'm covered.

Sometimes a split shot can sink too fast in slower water but a weighted fly will sink a little more evenly and you can get a better natural drift.

Sometimes the plunk of the splitshot can spook fish. Sometimes they can see the splitshot and it may deter a strike now and then.

Alot of it depends on the waters you fish, but I wouldn't count out weighted flies just yet. Think of it as another tactic in your repertoire.

Most of the time I don't use weighted flies but every year I am glad I have some in my box.

Frank

Sometimes a lightly weighted fly is good. Recently, i was fishing in heavly pressured water, and the fish were in the skinny stuff. Any shot on the leader just seemed to spook em bad, but a weighted fly,{some with lead underbodyand some beadheads } did the trick.

Weighted flys have a purpose, but they also seem to make the fly drift unnaturaly, or sink too fast at times.

Its good to have both kinds in your flybox.

I prefer the wieghted fly since it should put the fly in front of the fish before the line. A wgt'd line will also splash down and drag the fly under.