Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
virginiaangler

Best kind of threads?

Hello,

I'm a new kid on the block and need some advice on thread. The thread I'm using now came from a Cabela's kit and it keeps fraying. I'm tying small flies for Virginia trout streams. Drys, wets, nymphs, and terrestrials.

What is the best thread and in what sizes?

Where do I get it?

When the thread breaks while tying a fly is it because I'm putting too much tension on it or is the thread cheap?

Thanks for any help!

virginiaangler

There is no "best" thread. There are many threads that serve different purposes, or work better for some people than others. A recent discussion on another forum turned up this link http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/ssthread/index2.html that has some interesting comparison information, although it's also incomplete.

If you are fraying and breaking your thread, you are probably using too much tension, and/or holding the bobbin tube at right angles to the thread so the thread abrades on the lip of the tube. If you are using a wishbone bobbin, try bending the legs out a bit to reduce resistance. You want the thread to feed out as you wind, so the thread isn't always rubbing the lip of the bobbin tube in the same place.

As for changing the angle you hold the bobbin, that's a lot harder to do. I do find, though, that the Griffin ceramic bobbins work better for me, and aren't too expensive....

I guess it depends on the size and type of thread you are looking for but I haven't had any problems with Uni-Thread.

I use the Uni-thread in mainly 6/0, 8/0, and Big Fly sizes.

Anytime my thread has broken on me, it's usually because I am putting way to much tension on it or I am clipping the tip of the hook barb when I wind.

I gotta agree with both...thread is personal preference thing and you may want to check out a new bobbin. You could well be fraying your thread on the edge of the kit bobbin, or there may be a burr inside the tube, ...I prefer to use the Griffin bobbins with a ceramic insert to alleviate that problem. Also make sure you are not catching the hook point. For trout flies I to use mostly Uni threads and have no problems with them.

I use uni thread also and i think it great, i do use a little wax on it when i'm dubbing. I seem to make a

neater head with uni. B

hmm...very familiar sounding. i got some flat waxed nylon thread, and when i used it thru my cabela's bobbin, it started fraying and breaking. then i aquired a ceramic tube bobbin, and POOF the problem vanished. i do not think its your thread. the cabelas line of materials is usually not TOO bad.... :rolleyes:

Danville and UTC thread will fray even if you catch the thread against a rough spot on your fingers. They untwist and the fine fibers become exposed. Uni thread is bonded and doesn't untwist, which is why I don't use it.

I use Ultra, Uni and Danville in varying sizes for different jobs. All seem to work well. I started with a Cabela's kit and the first thing I did was switch to a standard Griffin bobbin. Breakage went way down after that. I only use the Cabela's bobbin for tinsel and wire now. It works good for that.

Mike

I'll be contrarian (is that even a word?)...unless you are strictly tying trout flies ;) (in which case I'll second the UNI recommendation), I like Danville's Flat-waxed thread in 200 denier. Yes it frays, but you also learn about things that cause thread to fray - which become important as you progress. It is also tough enough to work with a few nicks. You can twist for tighter thinner wraps or untwist for flatter almost floss like wraps.

I also found that everything improved when I switched to all ceramic bobbins :)

John

UNI is my preference especially when i am tying something that requires extra tension. I was tying bunny leeches last week and i was breaking Danville thread an average of twice per fly. Switched back to the uni and tied the next 12 with no breakage.

I use UTC and danville more for small flies since thier diameter can be manipulated to build up less bulk.

utc, uni, and danville. the only problems i've had were the bobbins. make sure you have a ceramic insert in your bobbin, and if you can see the hook shank moving, your applying WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE. make sure its about an 8/0 thread, and use a ceramic insert bobbin, or plastic tubed bobin.

Thanks for all the help! I'm back in action now. Tied four flys today that turned out pretty darn good in my opinion. Figured out that my bobbin was just too tight and the thread wasn't spooling out smoothly enough. I had to put too much tension on it and was just snapping it.

Think I might upgrade to a ceramic bobbin though...

Now just to get those whip finishes down pat!

Thanks again!