Fly Tying
seriesofseven

Finding locals????

A great and very thoughful fly tier from your area is member sturgeon catcher (his name is Fred).....I haven't seen him on much recently but we correspond from time to time.

Have fun on the forum,

Hot Tuna

PS I'm a guitar player too.

thanks for the invite. Out here we worry most about bears trying to steal your catch and the .454 is easier to wave around then a shotgun, but nothing is more dangerous than them yocals hiding about in the appalachians waiting it out until they find someone to squeel like a pig. Hot tuna, thanks for the headss upon Fred. I'll look him up for sure. What guitar style are you up to? I miss Connecticut once in a while. I fished on the sound with some luck but never had a clean stream in Southbury.

seriesofseven, ya wanna come to WV and fish :devil:

that's weird, as soon as i read that sentence i heard a banjo playing in my head

I play music that sounds a lot like...you guessed it...HoT Tuna...LOL(fingerstyle blues/rock...electric and acoustic)

I'm surprised you didn't find your way to the Housatonic from Southbury....

Hope you get to chat with Fred,

John

I actually do have a few banjo players in my family, and if I were musically enclined I would play one too.

Dustin.

Hey Seriesofseven

Interesting the reception you received. Maybe the pistol - can't really say. Sure is a pretty girl in there as well. Good enough for me. Your .454 and my .357 should work out nicely. I don't always carry mine but as am legal to do so often do. All kidding aside.........

Welcome seriesofseven.

I live in Bend and fish trout, bass locally, and up in your neighborhood steelhead and sturgeon. Last year fished 15 states. From east coast to west coast. Some north.....Some south.....

Send me a PM if you would like and would readily share all that I know. Been doing a bunch of tying lately in anticipation of the coming trout season. Weather has been horrific here. Cold.....Cold....Cold...

Found the hybrid stripers in Oregon and off and away as soon as the weather breaks. Or maybe the Nestucca for steelhead once the roads achieve a state of ice-free. Or..... the wife says go fishing and quit talking about it!!!!! My kind of wife.

As for finding fishing partners. I am open as all know. Give me a call and likely as not I'll be ready.

Later

Fred

Hello Seriesofseven,

This is a great "national" site, but if ya' want to find "locals", check out your local Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) club. This goes for wherever you are are located.

A quick check of the FFF's "club locator" showes that there are at least 21 active FFF clubs in Oregon, http://www.fedflyfishers.org/clubs/2f8x-f6...ate_Province=OR

I bet at least one of these clubs is located near you.

I know that many of these clubs are full of excellent tyers!

Actually, the Oregon Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers will hold its 19th annual NW Fly Tyers Expo March 9th & 10th, 2007. The 2007 Expo is unique as it now offers a two day format with fly tyers, classes and clinics along with local fly shops and manufacturers. There will be tyers demonstrating the smallest of trout flies to the fine art of classic salmon flies at this show - March 09 10:00 a.m. to March 10 5:30 p.m. at Linn County Expo Center, Albany, Oregon

[email protected]

http://www.nwflytyersexpo.com

If anyone wants to find tthe FFF Council for the area where you live, go to: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/8b23-f4c8.cgi

Tightlines,

Bowfin47

Proud FFF member of the Gulf Coast Council

Well that will teach me... I turned my head from this post for two days and already I have found enough ways to find locals that I bet I could get help with a flat tire just about anywhere so long as I bring a banjo. Thanks for the greeting Fred. And Hot Tuna, when I lived in Southbury we regarded the Housatonic as the most poluted river in Connecticut, has it improved? Well all, I have about all the advice I need on this topic and thanks for the input. I should have posted my introduction in 'the lodge', the results where VERY different. I'll unfortunately be missing the event in Albany since I'll be over seas but will look into the next one for sure.

ryan