Fly Tying

Susquehanna Smallie 'Clave II

Howdy folks,

For the second year, I'm going to be hosting the Susquehanna Smallie Clave. We're already half a year past SSC I, and planning is beginning for SSC II. The plan is to hold the clave the weekend of August 6-8, in Bainbridge, PA. If things work out (and we don't get blown out, like last year) the 'Clave will be taking place in the middle-end of the white fly hatch, a great opportunity to take big smallies on "little" dries.

The website is in process at the Smallie 'Clave Page.

I'm still in the process of massively updating the fishable waters and floats pages, and trying to make some decisions regarding what kind of clave paraphenalia to make available this year.

While I understand probably very few of us can committ to a weekend 6 months out, if you are interested in possibly attending, and being kept up to date with website changes, clave plans, etc, please get back to me via PM or email and let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

post-28-1077635804.jpg

A buddy and I just talked about going this year.

He is a huge smallie fan so I would consider it done.

Look forward to meeting you and fishing the Susq !

I was supposed to go out last year. I have a fishing buddy who guides out there for trout and bass (central pa area). I went and fished with him for the green drake hatch on Penns and he told me to come back for smallies on the sus. I was going, but unfortunately, my uncle was stabbed and ended up passing away. So I may be interested in getting out there, heard it is a blast. I also might be going to Montana/Idaho/Wyoming for 16 days of fishing the last week of July to the first week of Aug., so if I go there, doubt I can make the Smallie trip, but it is a must someday.

I may be able to attend this clave, either by myself or with my fiancee or uncle. I'll put it into my planner and will see how everything looks as the time approaches. We'd be camping, BTW.

Just a reminder that the Susky 'Clave is less than a month away! If you're interested in learning more, check out the webpage.

If you'd like to be added to the "attendee/keep me updated" email list, let me know!

Jason

Jason:

What size are the white flies? I've got a size 10 foam spinner that glows in the dark sitting on my tying desk waiting for some company.

Typically the flies run from 12 - 16, but are notoriously poor at losing their nymphal shuck, possibly a result of their rather speedy hatch. As a result, flies are usually tied 10-14, sometimes up to 8 (for Univisibles)

Jason

Sounds like the 10 is a keeper for the spinner. Just need to figure how to attach a parachute to the foam body for the dun. And a Quigley Cripple, eastern style for the emerger, and I'll be in business.

Another Susky Clave come and gone with an unfishable Susquehanna River. We topped last year by making the tributaries unfishable as well.

There were 10 folks camping and another 4 day tripping from home. Things got started Friday morning, as the camp started up with myself, Tom Boyd, Jerry Caruso, and Jerry's friend John Feler arriving mid-morning. Tom decided to run his boat out on the river to pitch some hardware and see what, if any, fishable water, there was to be found. While I made a second trip home to remember (and forget) all the things I forgot to pack initially, Dick Eppinger and Kip Heiny arrived. With tents pitched and pop-ups popped, we went to do some exploring.

Jerry and John headed off to Lititz to give Speedwell Forge a shot. Dick and Kip took a long tour up the Swatara, while I drifted some nymphs and clousers through some slightly less muddy sections of the lower Swatty. With only 1 dink smallie taken in a couple hours of dredging, I headed down to the Swatara boat launch to see if there was any action to be found. As I arrived, Tom was pulling in off the river, so I jumped aboard his boat and we headed up the Swatty to fish the shoreline with baitcasters. Tom had taken 3 smallies on the river, a 13", an 18" and a fat 18.5". In an hour of fishing the Swatty he took another 15" smallie and a 13" largemouth, while I managed to scare up a 12" smallie on a crankbait. SSC = Swatty Smallie Crankin'.

Returning to camp, Jerry and John reported muddy conditions at Speedwell, a few fish, and a disappearing restaurant. Jeff Keller and his wife Jeanine pulled into camp and Bob Lewis soon joined the group as well. My wife's post-work arrival capped the crew for the evening. Some good grub was made and consumed (sausage sandwiches, wolf turds and smoked chicken thighs) and some tentative plans were made for the following day.

Jeff whipped up a batch of "Mountain Man" breakfast in the Dutch oven, a "frittata" of sausage, bacon, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, and of course, eggs, topped with cheese and salsa. We were joined for breakfast by Tim Trexler, Jerry Brumfield, and Dee Lehman as well as Tom. After breakfast, we sent several groups in several directions. Dick, Kip and Jeff decided to float the Swatara, while Tim and Jerry B. headed over to the Yellow Breeches, Tim's new stomping ground. Jerry, John, Dee and I headed over to Gifford Pinchot Park to fish Conewago Lake, and were later joined there by Tony Cararra. Tom and Bob headed out in Tom's boat to fish the river. The wives went off to get into trouble.

Tim tied into a 14" brown trout on his second or third cast at the Breeches, thereby assuring he and Jerry remained fishless the rest of the day. The Swatty float team came back with a fast cruise, some sunburn, and nothing else. The Pinchot gang ended up with several dozen bluegill ranging from invisible to halfway decent. Jerry C. picked up a few strangely colored sunfish which remained unidentified. SSC = Strange Sunfish Clave.

Everyone piled back into camp for the potluck. All campers were present as well as Dee, Tom, and Tom's wife Julie. Dinner was smoked brisket and pulled pork with a variety of BBQ sauces. We had fresh Jersey corn, bean salad, deviled eggs, pasta salad, cole slaw and sausages w/ peppers and onions. Dessert was a delicious Dutch oven apple/cheesecake thing and some tasty blueberry buckle. Jeff provided some of his homemade sour cherry and apricot wines. We had a toast to SSC I attendee Scott Shaub, who passed away earlier this year due to complications from cancer. We raffled off a bunch of great items, including some excellent flies, tasty treats, caps and books. Jeff Keller took home the coveted prize of a Claude Freaner beaded smallie.

We broke camp Sunday morning with pancakes ala Jeff. Jerry and John headed home early, and Bob headed off as well. Dick and Kip headed East, talking about taking a shot at smallies on the Brandywine, while Dee, Jerry B. and I headed up to Clarks Creek. Jeff headed up to Fishing Creek. I managed one 10" brownie on a variation of Shenk's White Minnow. SSC = Slimy Salmonid Clave.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate next year, and we can have an SSC that actually involves both smallies and the Susky! The food was great, the company excellent, the weather perfect. A great time was (hopefully) had by all, and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Jason

Jason,

You guys must have been getting the same weather we have been getting here in Cincy. The last month has been a wash out, but I'm hoping that it might make for a decent fall. Last year our creeks dried up by late August.

Yup Will, same weather systems, same routine. Heavy storm, blow the rivers out, rivers start to recover, big storm, blow 'em out again. mad.gif

Same as last year, although at least last year the big storms were all upstream, so only the big river was blown out, we still had the tribs. No such luck this year. Upwards of a dozen tornado touchdowns over the last couple of weeks, and the weather to go with. 3+" excess rain in July, something like 14+" over for the year...sheesh bs.gif

Tribs finally going from muddy to stained...big rain predicted for tonight into tomorrow... ive_been_ripped.gif

Jason

Jason,

I was watching the weather for the last two weeks before I committed to my canoe trip. I really want to get out that way and fish the Susq again.

Sounds like you put on one heck of a chin dig !

Maybe next year