Fly Tying
mtn

Paradun

Don't know what I tied this to represent, but it looks very realistic in my opinion. The first time I saw this style of tying was in a video by John Goddard and Brian Clarke.

IPB Image

The hackle on the bottom of the fly acts like a normal parachute hackle, and supports it on the water.

Lovely work Elliot,

The Paradun is a great fly, and there are many variations on the fly:

-Dyed turkey flats can be used for the wing (This technique is used by one of my favourite tiers Johan Klinberg)

- Antron or poly. yarn can be used, and shaped when necessary

Great work.....

Keep it coming mate

Chris

mtn,

Great looking fly. Have you fished it yet? The foam wing may interfere with the hook set. I know Roy Christie recommends at most just a few wisps of poly yarn or a couple of feather fibers for the wing (or not putting any wing at all) on his USD EasyPeasy flies because of that.

Joe

Warning: This may be a stupid question from the new guy. :baby:

What did you wind the parachute hackle around, since the wing is on top?

As far as the foam goes, it looks like the soft foam used in cushioning electronics and other delicate objects for shipping. I have experimented with it before for wings on midge emergers. I don't think it would be any more stiff than a comparably sized poly wing post. Just my opinion, though.

Thanks guys, I'll proably never fish this pattern, its a bugger to tie and I don't have the patience to sit down and tie a dozen of them. Par Spots, I wrapped the hackle round a loop of 5lb mono, then pushed the hackle back through the centre of the loop and pulled the loop tight.