Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Hatches Magazine (April) - Tying the Sunken Firefly

this pattern rocks ray!!

I'll tie up a dozen and have the kids try them out on calm evening water this summer when the hatch comes. The gills are gonna go nuts on this fly.

Chris - I do not get any of the credit. All the credit for this article goes to John Ridderbos. I just posted a bunch of the links to the wonderful articles in the step-by-step section to make it easy for new members to find the fly tying content in Hatches Magazine.

Also note that the original pattern for the firefly was developed by Mr. Harrision Steeves. He published a book back in August 2003 called "Tying Flies With Foam, Fur, and Feathers" that contained this pattern along with many other great foam terrestrial patterns. The paperback version (ISBN-10 0811729095) is listed on Amazon for $18.96. I've had great luck with every pattern I've tried from this book (foam beetles, crickets, UFO's, LA Ants, etc.).

Also take a look at "Terrestrials" by Harrison Steeves and Ed Koch if you can find it. Great patterns, along with very good discussions about terrestrials and fly design. I refer to this one often.