Fly Tying
oatka

Velcro....lots of it

So, for a while now I've been wanting to update my fly tying "desk" from a tv tray, to a real desk....or as real as I can for now. So, I've got an old sewing machine table and a head full of ideas. One idea involves velcro....lot's of it. I want to cover an area that is about 2x3.342683920 feet in size. So, I was talking about it to my fishing buddy and he said he has some velcro that would work, and it's free! So, friday he brought me this!!!

IPB Image

Those bad boys are 4 inches wide, and the roll itself is about 12 inches across (1 male, 1 female). should be plenty.

So, that got me motivated again to try and finish the desk. So, I finally cut some wood and got things going.

IPB Image

After a dry fit...... (notice the orange deer hair that I dyed myself! Thanks for the hair Inconnu!).....

IPB Image

.....I was ready to glue it an nail it together (actually, that's not true...I'm going to stain it, then apply the velcro, then nail/glue it. I'm such a liar!)

IPB Image

In the middle of the last picture you can see a test board that I spray painted. The paint color was called "Claret Wine" and it turned out redder than I had hoped. The desk is more brown, so I think I'll try staining it to match the desk better. I know I probably wont match it perfectly, but I think I can get closer than that red.

Hopefully soon I can post pictures of the desk when it's done. It's going to be revolutionary (but maybe only in my mind!).

Enjoy!

(Crap, the lights come on at work in 2 minutes....there goes my morning nap!)

I knew if I said too much someone would ask that, and then I'd have to try to avoid (For the surprise factor when I post the final results) saying that I'm going to try to make the vise swing down under the desk top like the old sewing machine use to do. And that the board in the picture is going to be lined with velcro and put behind the desk, and pulled up and secured to the back of the desk when tying is in progress. All the materials (mostly all) will be velcroed to this "Material Board" and in plain site so I can easily see what I have. Recently I got a great surprise when I found a number of things I forgot I had. Having those things hidden in the basement for some strange reason, helped in leading up to my surprise find!

hmmmm....I need a router table. I have practically zero good tools, so I have to borrow one here, and one there from a great friend I have that would let me borrow about everything he owns.

All the materials (mostly all) will be velcroed to this "Material Board" and in plain site so I can easily see what I have.

Ever see those velcro walls where you can slip on a human velcro suit and jump against the wall? basically that's what i'm building, minus the human velcro suit. My materials will be in zip lock bags (like most come in) then velcroed to the "material board." in my head it looks and works great. hopefully it will do that well in reality.