Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

wings on things (DEE STYLE)

I have a question about tying Dee style flies. I was wondering how to make the tent style wings that seem to flow down the body. Whenever I try my wings end up turning up or wont stay together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have a question about tying Dee style flies. I was wondering how to make the tent style wings that seem to flow down the body. Whenever I try my wings end up turning up or wont stay together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Bassturd

You are a bit wrong. What you are after according to your writing is Spey style wings.

Let me explain.

The first pic is Dee style wings:

post-3635-1168804592_thumb.jpg

And this one is Spey style wings:

post-3635-1168804664_thumb.jpg

There are more ways to tiein the Spey wings normally two strips of bronze mallard. I think most set the wings one at a time starting with the opposite one.

The techniquie is explained and showed in John Sheweys book "Spey and Dee fles" Which I can highly recommend if you are into tying these kind of flies.

Regards

Jens

The biggest thing to remember is to tie in the bronze mallard by the soft gray part of the feather slip and not the main part of it. The other thing is to make sure the foundation you tie them onto isn't forcing your wings apart.

A simple trick I have found that is MENTIONED is that you should NOT cut off all the ends or roots of the feathers tied to the head. This will be where you mount the bronze mallard. AFTER mounting the bronze, cut the roots off. The roots of the feather will hold the bronze in place as you tie them in.

It's a simple trick but only mentioned in books and demonstrations. Bill