Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SteelieD

5 minute epoxy

So I went to the home center today looking for 5 minute epoxy (figured I'd save a few bucks and needed some light bulbs anyway!). I'm tying some poxy back stones and copper johns. Never having used the stuff I was perplexed by the fact that what I could find said that it dried 'translucent yellow'. I figured I'd want it to dry clear. It came in a double syringe type thing for easy mixing. Loctite I think was the brand.

Is that the stuff I want?

What do you use?

That is what I use when I'm in a hurry, otherwise I use rodbuilding epoxy. It dries slow and needs to be rotated but works well. Try a few with the five minut stuff and see what you think.

Paul

If the epoxy is in clear tubes, always buy the least yellow you can find. The yellow color comes from the oxidation of amine sites in the hardener over time by oxygen. Really old syringes with very yellowed hardeners don't cure very well, since the oxidized amine sites don't function to cure the epoxy. Longer curing epoxies usually age with less yellowing. Rod epoxies work well, but are more expensive than brands such as Devcon 2-ton (30 minute cure time). I usually use Devcon 2-Ton 30 minute cure stuff with an epoxy drying wheel. I use Devcon 5 minute when tying epoxy flies at conclaves, demos, etc.

Mark Delaney

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with the Devcon from the fly shop. Should've just gone there the first place!

When you become tired of cracked or yellowing heads (all epoxy yellow after a while), go to Tuffleye.com.

This new stuff will never crack or yellow. Bob Popovics endorsed this product by stating that he will never use epoxy again.