Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Onshore

BACKSIDE OF THE MOON...ER, CAPE

Hey, I like that title. Always liked Jimmy Buffet's "Backside of the Moon", too. Anyway,

23 February

Headed for the backside as soon as it started to warm up this morning. Stopped in Orleans and visited with Tony Stetzko and reserved an outer beach trip with him for Marvin and I in May. Then, I checked out the Wellfleet hollows - Newcomb, Cahoon, White Crest and LeCount (Maguire). Fantastic structure at Newcomb and Maguire. Big troths between outer bar and beach. In between looked fishy too.

Parked at the Coast Guard station and hiked 2 miles down to Nauset Inlet. I took a number of pictures of the beach and a couple looking north and south from the dunes where Henry Beston’s "outermost house" used to be. Never warmed as much as it was predicted. It was about 35* all morning with a brisk NNW wind off Nauset Marsh. Fortunately, my walk back into it was pretty well sheltered by waling below the drop-off along the surf line. Other than a couple sparrows at the station, the only bird life on the beach were gulls and crows.

Amazing how little drift wood was on the beach. I recently read someplace that that is because there are few wooden boats being built in Maine and the Maritimes and no logging being done in the rivers along the Gulf of Maine and Nova Scotia. Even so, I found a couple of pretty well weathered pieces that should be good for painting on when the dry out. Also, picked up one of the biggest surf clam shells (both halves) I’ve ever seen. While there was little in the way of driftwood, the amount of various plastic flotsome "things" was unbelievable; and it’s not even beach and boating season.

I stopped where Henry Beston’s "outermost house" stood until the Blizzard of "78 and took a couple pictures looking back north to the Coast Guard Station and south toward Nauset Inlet. A little farther along, someone had planted the American flag on the top of a dune. The flag was pretty well wind-blown, but I did get some pictures of it with the Inlet in the background. Then, I stopped and sat on a big log under the dune and had lunch. Hot Life Boat Tea and Clam Chowdah. Boy, did that taste good.

Really good looking structure along here all the way to the inlet. Every bit as good looking as up at Newcombs and Maguires to the north. I’m sure most of it will be filled in before the Stripers arrive; but that won’t stop me from coming back and trying it out in May. In fact, I stopped at the CC National Seashore visitor center and got a walk-in permit for the truck.

Funny, as I was walking back toward the CG Station, I got this eerie sensation. I turned quickly and there were two Coyotes following my track, about 300 feet back. As soon as I stopped, they bolted into the dunes and disappeared toward Nauset Marsh. I had seen their tracks all over the beach; especially around every dead Sea Gull and crab that had washed ashore.

All told, I spent about two and a half hours walking to the inlet and back and it was a great outing. My face even got a bit tanned; from the wind, not the sun.

Bill Hubbard

post-3-1077801621.jpg

beautiful picture.....managed a little sun myself last weekend...mild sunburn on the face...felt great!!!!!

They are calling for warmer temps. in my neck of the woods, 50 - 60 sat. & sun. Although I will be on Elk creek fishing steelhead and the temp. on sat. there will be low 40's. Still a bit chilly.

Beautiful pic.

Awsome picture! I'm heading that way in June. Fell free to post some more pic.s........It'll help get me pumped up for my visit!

Where will you be staying in June, Mike? Feel free to email me before you start down and I'll update you on what's happening.

I'll be fishing the Backside till the end of May and then start fishing Pleasant Bay, Monomoy flats and Brewster flats.

Here's a sunset from Race Point

post-3-1077889385.jpg

thanx........i'll take you up on that. I'll be staying with my brother in pemboke. He works out on the cape and his wife works in downtonw Boston. They moved there this past summer, we visited over Thanskgiving........looking forward to getting back. I would be interested in any backwater/salt pond areas you could point me towards.....not looking for any trophies......maybe some small schoolie stripers if I'm lucky.....I'll probably have some small kids in tow. i wouldn't mind hitting a beach with the flyrod.......it would have to be a relatively calm day, I don't think my skills are up for it otherwise.

Mike