Fly Tying
Nealbo

Royal Wulff

I have tied 10 or so royal wulff now. Everyone looks about the same. But something does not look right to me. Any help will be appreciated.

post-1887-1169357989_thumb.jpg

looks great the only thing i can think of is a smaller bunch of hair for the tail and a little bit shorter

The only thing that I can see that might be a bit off is that the tail should be a little more to the top of the hook. Use a soft loop to set the tail on the hook and the tighten the thread by pulling straight down before you continue to wrap around. Make sure you have a tight pinch on the tail material on the top side of the hook before you pull the thread down.

Not sure what hook you are using but if you think that the tie is crowded you could use a 2xLong hook , I use mustads so instead of the 94840 hook I would switch to the 94831.

I must disagree with ashbourn, the hackel and wings are right on, but the tail needs to be less in hair, and length and tied more ontop of the shank, and splayd flatter, other than that, it looks pretty daggone good!!!

Dustin

Your Royal Wulff has good proportions but I agree that someting doesn't look just right. I usually tie with a white tail, usually calftail. Just to be sure, I consulted Eric Leiser's Fly tying book and he lists white calftail for both wing and tail. The Orvis pattern book gives " brown body hair drom a deer" as tail material . I would use bucktail to control the flairing when you tie it on.

There you have it, brown or white tail; same pattern.

One of my favorite flies, in all sizes.

Use only about 6-8 moose mane fibers for the tail. The should be the length of the hook shank (eye to bend), no longer. Tie them on top, and do not let the thread pressure send them around the shank, as in deer hair spinning. To help hold the fibers at a slight angle to the hook shank (clockwise), and let the thread pressure force the fibers to the top of the shank.

As the wings go, the photo makes it appear they are not centered, but are rotated on the shank axis. May just be the angle of the photo. When creating the wings, be sure they are centered and symmetrical about the hook shank, with a 70 - 90 degree angle between them. Ensure the bits are tightly tied onto the hook shank. Take time when you create them to ensure they are centered and shaped right, manipulating them into place if need be. Looks liek you are using calf body hair, as they are straight. Try calf tail but be sure you get dense SHORT STRAIGHT hair, not long or curly hair or you'll never forgive me for this advice. Cheat if you have to with a tiny drop of zap-a-gap or head cement if they seem to rotate.

If you prefer a narrower waisted body (you may or may not...) when you tie on the peacock, do not wrap where the floss will go, instead bring the herl along the bottom of the fly, then tie in, then do the floss work.

Looks good!

-E

If you're tying to catch anglers then maybe a few of the previously suggested

tweaks are required, but if you're tying to catch fish then I reckon it's a winner ! :)

Looks pretty good to me except for the tail. As others have suggested, use about half as much material for the tail. Also to keep it from flaring, take a couple of gentle turns of thread around the tail before wrapping forward. It's the tightening of the thread that makes the tail fibers flare out. Once you've made a few turns and have come forward a bit, then you can start tightening up the turns to secure the tail material.

The only thing I can see, and it might be the picture is that one wing looks on the far side of the shank and the other on top. I like to have the wings point out over the hook eye a bit on an angle rather than straight up and down

When you tie in a deer hair tail lift it up and back to keep it on top of the shank. Start with tight thread wraps just behind where the wings butts are and as you reach the tie off point reduce tension on your thread. this will make a tighter bundle of hair and help it from flarring.

Do a google search of Lee Wulf, lots of info from the master

The biggest thing I see other than the tail issues is the body and the hackle might be started a little too far back. It's tough to tell though caus it might just be a funny angle that the picture was taken from. But to me the body looks a little short. The wings are tough to judge also since they're at an angle and are longer than they look. All in all though it looks good, just thin that tail out, having it that full is going to negatively affect how the fly sits on the water. For a quick fix on that one and any other with a big tail, no pun intended, just ake your scissors and start cutting off a few hairs at a time till you get it where you want it, then stick them in your fly box.