Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

wolverine in Michigan?

well...was not aware of that....very interesting...the big black bears are on a come back in Eastern KY...love it! I remember seeing them quiet often when I was young and now they are being seen everywhere. Some want to eradicate them again, but hopefully the state will educate a few landowners and this pattern of thought will change....if it is marketed right, it could have huge financial implications for the tourism in that part of the state.....nothing like being up on Black Mnt and watching for bear tracks along your favorite stream...you usually don't have to look long! but I digress wink.gif

went back and looked at the pics again...big animal.( for a timber weasel)..nice spread between the fore and aft tracks......BIG wolverine.....maybe a big male dunno.gif

I just have to ask who was the genius who dubbed Michigan the Wolverine state????? According to the article there has NEVER been a documented sighting of a Wolverine in MI. That's like calling Ohio "The Trout State" dunno.gif

After moving into inhabited areas they have been known to eat three dogs, six cats, 50 parakeets, and two volkswagen rabbits in a single day, and will regurgitate all that if a horse is sighted.

Actuality it was the people from Ohio that coined the term (Michigan Wolverine) during the war over the Toledo strip.

They figured the Michiganders were land hungry like the Wolverine

So I guess it was the genius's from Ohio. dunno.gif

OSD.

Heard about this earlier today,no matter how it got here i think its pretty damn cool and like OSD mentioned even though they are a mean little bastard i think they could have a good food source where we wouldnt have to worry about kids&pets outside.

Not that all the sudden the states gonna be over run with them but i wouldnt mind seeing that this wasnt a "stowaway from canada" and that it has just been "over looked" for a long time. Not that i really think thats the case but it would be interesting!

SD

Yall can come down here and get in a boat. lol. Tight lines and good tyin!

-redneck

wink.gif Red:

You ever go fishing at Reelfoot Lake and have a Cottonmouth drop into your boat? One just missed the boat I was in. Another time a couple of friends weren't so lucky. Dropped right in on them. They did a lot of dancing around before they evicted it without any harm to themselves.

I heard on the news this morning that Michigan had wolverines listed as a protected species but had removed them some time back because none had been documented for more than a century.

We have the same thing here in New Mexico with Jaguars and Grizzlies (no kidding). People claim they have seen them in the last 40 years but there is no hard proof. I'll let you know if I see either on future trips ... bugeyes.gif

cottonmouths aren't a big deal...it's the dope growers on the creeks that scare me....there are several streams I do not fish without the shotgun on my back or the pistol on my side.....makes fishing in peace much easier to accomplish...

B.D.H...thats waht I was just going to offer ....I have a sweet Super Redhawk 44 with an awesome scope . If you boys are scared to fish in Michigan I will come along with my sidearm and all you have to do is support either of my bad habits for the protection. Drinking habit or eating habit your choice. Oh and I won't shut up for the whole trip but I will guarantee you won't be having any Wolverine attacks....In fact I will protect from Yetis for a small fee.

i hope to god it doesn't have a mate... all we need now is the tree huggers to find a way to close off more land to hunters and fisherpeople because now the wolverine would be an endangered species..... good grief. I still think its a ploy just like the cougar and lynx incidents as of late.

steve

we got enough of those ugly smelly things down in ann arbor, we dont' need any more.

(NOTE: this is just a joke, dont take it personal. I know how you sensitive types over there get your panties in a bunch biggrin.gif)

steve

QUOTE (Philly @ Feb 27 2004, 12:18 PM)
Yall can come down here and get in a boat. lol. Tight lines and good tyin!
-redneck
wink.gif Red:
You ever go fishing at Reelfoot Lake and have a Cottonmouth drop into your boat? One just missed the boat I was in. Another time a couple of friends weren't so lucky. Dropped right in on them. They did a lot of dancing around before they evicted it without any harm to themselves.

Never fished reelfoot. So, no. But, we had one try to get in the boat one day at kentucky lake. My brother had a rat-l-trap on so he beat at that snake while it was in the water. Threw the trap on the other side of it, reeled right up to it, jerked and killed it right there. I was so friggin scared. I hate snakes! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

I'm pleased to see it, and am reminded of something-

it, its' ilk,and progenitors were here way before any of us- something we shouldn't forget- it'd be nice to think we appreciated it enough to want to see it survive. That's not "tree hugging" - it's appreciation. It's appropriate.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this