Fly Tying
Eric

Ever meet any fishing celebs?

I don't understand celebrity worship.

I've met Bob Clouser a couple times locally, and had some one-on-one time correctly tying his Clouser Deep Minnow. Great guy. That's probably why I get weird every single time someone posts a "Critique my Clouser" topic.

Anyway, I fished with my Dad for many years, not nearly enough years, and that's all I need.

Never cared enough to meet a fishing celebrity. In fact I could hardly name any and I have no clue what they look like or who even counts as being a fishing celebrity.

Too many to list, but my top ten that influenced me the most (in no particular order):

Polly Rosborough

Randall Kaufmann

Jim Schollmeyer

John Shewey

Bob Quigley

Mike Lawson

Phil Rowley

Skip Morris

Dave Hughes

Darrell Martin

There's only a handful of "fishing celebrities" I would like to see.

1) April Vokey

2) Any female angler who looks as pretty as April Vokey.

To any lady fly anglers and tiers who might be reading this ... I am not a chauvinist, but I might be considered a bit "shallow".

I am just a sucker for a pretty face. And if that pretty face is on a woman who is good at things I like to do ... all the better !!!

I've met or had the pleasure of talking with quite a few, including Lefty several times having lived in MD most of my life. Most were great to meet & talk with, others not so great. I've also met Bob Clouser a few times. Both guys are wonderful to be around, but Lefty's jokes are better IMO!~ lol

Unfortunately, some of those I've met have departed this world, and the fly fishing community has lost some that made extensive contributions. But, that's life & we'll all someday join them.

1) April Vokey

To any lady fly anglers and tiers who might be reading this ... I am not a chauvinist, but I might be considered a bit "shallow".

I am just a sucker for a pretty face. And if that pretty face is on a woman who is good at things I like to do ... all the better !!!

Shortly after I became employed with the tying company I work for I introduced myself to her at show. She has an account and as the sales guys it only made sense to say hello and hand out a card. I can honestly say that after spending 10 minutes chatting that you can tell just how much more than a pretty face she is. Its one thing I tell folks whenever they mention how "hot" she is.....is that she is so genuine and sincere you feel guilty for thinking of her as just a pretty girl. If you get the chance to chat with her then do so....you'll see what I mean.

J

1) April Vokey

Shortly after I became employed with the tying company I work for I introduced myself to her at show. She has an account and as the sales guys it only made sense to say hello and hand out a card. I can honestly say that after spending 10 minutes chatting that you can tell just how much more than a pretty face she is. Its one thing I tell folks whenever they mention how "hot" she is.....is that she is so genuine and sincere you feel guilty for thinking of her as just a pretty girl. If you get the chance to chat with her then do so....you'll see what I mean.

J

NO guilt felt here ... since I do NOT think of her as "just a pretty face." I don't make that mistake with any of the women who participate in my classes, either. I find that women are generally better at two things ...

1) small dimension work/ attention to detail

2) learning new procedures quickly.

But, acknowledging that they are skilled, doesn't detract (one bit) from my equal appreciation of their beauty.

1) April Vokey

J

NO guilt felt here ... since I do NOT think of her as "just a pretty face." I don't make that mistake with any of the women who participate in my classes, either. I find that women are generally better at two things ...

1) small dimension work/ attention to detail

2) learning new procedures quickly.

But, acknowledging that they are skilled, doesn't detract (one bit) from my equal appreciation of their beauty.

Hey Mike

Sorry.....I didn't mean to put you in that category. You made it clear that you were not objectifying her. There are plenty that do though, i hear and see it all the time and it's something that group should think about.

Cheers

J

Oh, I didn't take offense. I know exactly what you mean.

The worst situation I ever witnessed was in the military. Any woman brave enough to join is amazing to me. Not only are they joining the military, but they now have to put up with a 100:1 ratio of men to women. It's NOT a good thing. Anyone who thinks women join to find a husband, doesn't understand the situation. They have to fend off unwanted attention from, literally, hundreds of dimwits who all think they are "god's gift to women".

Before anyone asks ... no, I was not one of those dimwits. I was 22 when I enlisted. I had a work ethic long before I went into the Corps. I never dated anyone I worked with ... considered them family.

Once I got into the Corps, I considered ALL other Marines family.

I want to fish with Hilary Hutcheson. I think she would be a blast, she's skilled and not hard to look at.

He wasn't exactly a fishing celeb, but I met Cory Wells (Three Dog Night; Jerimiah was a bullfrog...) on my first steelhead outing. I had no idea who he was even after he told me his name - embarrassing. I didn't know it but he loved fishing and fished all over the world. A real nice fellow, easy to talk to and very helpful with technique tips.