Fly Tying
Eric

Ever meet any fishing celebs?

I pulled Michael Fong out of a snow bank with my tow truck one time. Didnt have time to talk fishing though, roads were bad and I was busy.

Got to tie with John Shoey one time. He was by far the most knowledgeable and passionate tyers I ever met.

Had coffee with an older guy in a fly shop when I was living in Livingston Montana. After he left I found out he was an actor, but dont remember his name. Also while in Livingston I got to know the guy that tied the fly's for A River Runs Through It. We went to dinner and went to a hocky game (no, it wasnt a date, his wife and my ex are friends).

Thanks for the kind words, SmallieHunter. They make a fellow feel good. And thanks for sending to the ad for my book. Makes me feel at home.

It's good to be here. Comfortable.

-- Paul

Everyone to me is famous in some shape or form. Can't really single anyone out. A lot of you guys here and the flies you make stands at the same level as many of the names you have mentioned.

Billy

I think some of you know who Mirjana Pavlič or Mirjana Brinkhoff is?

I know her very well, she fishes the same river as I do, and she is a member in our fishing club...

QUOTE (Irish @ Feb 27 2004, 05:00 PM)

A good way to get up close and personal with these is to attend a Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave. 

There is one in Gulf Shores, ALabama and Bob Clouser will be there.  And some of the finest tiers in the Southeast.

I wanted to second Irish's feelings about the FFF conclaves. I have/had been to the Southern Council's annual conclave in Mountain Home, Ark., where I met:

Dave Whitlock: a regular; signed a book for me; I attended one of his tying classes.

Tom Nixon: passed away last year; sold me his latest book; watched ME tie for two hours one night.

Gary Lafontaine: I attended one of his tying classes; signed a copy of Caddisflies for me.

Fox Statler: "Mr. Sowbug;" we have an ongoing correspondence about his anatomically correct "minners."

The Schmueckers: Owners of Wapsi materials in Mountain Home.

You get to meet so many good tyers and so many good people at conclaves. It's worth the effort.

I met Al Lindner when I took a trip to Hatchet Lake in Northern Sask. He was up there filming a segment on Big Pike. I ended up shooting the breeze with him right after dinner was served and I must say, he was the most down to earth guy I have ever met. This man has a sincere passion for fishing.

QUOTE (btesch @ May 14 2004, 10:53 AM)
I dated the "Hardy Girl"

That really depresses me. sad.gif I was hoping to keep her all to myself.

I have the Hardy Girl as my background for my Computer so I do get to see her every day. wink.gif

I've met a few. Have corresponded with quite a few more. But seem to know as many, if not more, gear pro's then fly guys. LOL.

But some that come to mind. Most are NW legends. Some I worked next to (not with, but had booths by at sportsman shows).

Harry Lemire

Jim Teeny

George Cook

Simon Gawesworth

Trey Combs

Skip Morris

That's what just comes to mind. Would remember more if I think about it.

QUOTE (Bear Coat @ May 14 2004, 12:03 PM)

I have the Hardy Girl as my background for my Computer so I do get to see her every day. wink.gif

I have wills pic as my background......right willy wub.gif wacko.gif blink.gif wallbash.gif

LOL. My wallpaper is actually a gear fishing one. Is a picture of a steelhead underwater with a hotshot SE in it's mouth. Pretty cool pic.