Fly Tying
stony

Seal Fur

Jamie .. I just went on the Bearlodge Angler site looking at some hooks and found Poul Jorgensen's Seal-Ex dubbing. Is that similar to what you are talking about? There is also a John Rohmer's Arizona Simi-Seal dubbing. Both are advertised "as good as it gets" but anyone can say that about anything. Or is this product even being made anymore?

http://www.bearlodgeangler.com/synthetic_dub.htm

maddog,

I am not sure if Seal-Ex is still made or not as i haven't seen any in a long time and none of my suppliers for the shop carry it. I do know that Poul Jorgensen listed it in a lot of the patterns in "Salmon Flies" that was published in 1978 as the recommended sub for seal.

Nowadays i would probably stick to SLF Standard & SLF Poul Jorgensen for a seal sub, between them they come in 72 different colours and i usually have them all in stock.

Right now i can't remember exactly how many colours of Seals fur dubbing i stock but it is about 30 different colours.

try wwdoak.com they wont ship genuone seal to the states, but have a huge selection of seals fur sub and slf dubbing

I can buy it at my local fly shop. The seal hunt here in Newfoundland produces many seal pelts, i should really ask a fisherman for some scraps to dub it up.

Here in scotland, ever second packet of dubbing i see i seal, it really is quite abundant. Saying that, I have tried SLF and Angora Goat. My local shop swears by Angora Goat as a substitute and I'd have to agree with them, I prefered it to the SLF but it doesn't compare to the real deal.

I get mine from Canada in bulk and dye my own but if you want to try ordering from the UK the best place would be from Steve at Cookshill who has a range of 22 shades. Seals fur, accept no imitations. :headbang: