Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Species specific forums?

Would you guys like to see any species specific forums like bass, salmon, trout, etc?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd like to see if you guys would be interested in some species specific forums added. If you guys have any other suggestions or ideas you can also reply to this thread!

I would be interested in a largemouth forum, and maybe a panfish and carp forum. I know there is a lot of smallmouth talk over on riversmallies.com. I see some panfish and carp talk, but not much on largemouth, whicch i think is a huge fronteir for flyfishers.

Dan

Truthfully speaking, give it time. I only say this for a couple reasons. I've worked on a few boards, and have helped out on a few boards. All the boards that tried to do too much too fast died out. I'll explain.

If you start out small (similar to what you have now, maybe a forum or two too many IMHO). One thing I've noticed, you look "busier" when you only have a couple forums. That brings lurkers to view more often. If you spread forums out too much, chances are a lurker may only run to that one forum and leave. Not enough interest, and the forum will peter out. Have seen 4 that have done that. In fact, had one person I tried to tutor on how to build it up correctly. He did fine until he tried jumping gun and adding another 10 forums (all finite). Site floundered, even with regulars. Gets boring after awhile when you only have the same 8 guys posting (not saying that will happen here). But I've been one of the original members and a few of the bigger NW fishing sites. All started with only THREE forums. Usually a General fishing, a want ads section, and maybe a misc. section. They grew in size, and once the site really started hopping, they added ONE, maybe TWO forums at a time. Once they took off, then they added more. The site I'm a mod on now was that way. Only had 3 sections. Now has about 20 or so, and all have activity, some not alot, but activity. Just takes time. Don't jump the gun. Always good to start small and let it grow. I wouldn't put another forum in, UNLESS you get enough interest in it. No use having a Pacific NW steelhead/salmon section if there's only 2 guys in the area on the board. I would add maybe one, and see how it goes. Then let the POSTERS dictate if you need another board. Normally, you'll notice a change, or find a want, for more boards. I think keep it like it is now, and then go from there. Like now, check your areas you have no and see how they are moving. You may want to consolidate a few of those for now with no/little movement until you see them taking off.

Just my .02

Thanks for the tips Steelheader69 I have seen you on several forums and really trust your opinions on this stuff! thumbsup.gif

Strictly from a participatory viewpoint, I agree with Steelie. Even with the several websites we (you, Steelie, Myself, any of us) frequent, we don't post in every forum.

I agree as well. I can see the want for seperate catagories, but honestly most all posts are done in the tying bench. And if I'm not mistaken, we do have warm and cold water areas where we can post info on such matters. To take it to a seperate species, I beleive would spread the forum out too much. I love it the way it is Will.

i said yes. i'd love to see a largemouth bass forum added. and also a panfish forum would be great!!!!

I have to agree with Steelie, don't spread it out anymore. I frequent many forums and having the coldwater and warmwater IMO is excellent as maybe something catch's your eye in a title and you check it out and you try it and it can only lead to expanding your knowlegde.

Leave it the way it is.

Fatman

:wallbash: I voted yes but I have changed my mind. :dunno: After going over the post I'm afraid that I agree we might just start to spread to thin. To me this is the best forum on the net and I would like to keep it the way it is. Keep up th good work. :yahoo: