Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

tinsel, fur, and hackle proportions

just a quick question about proportions.

if im tying a fly, say, a sir herbert, and recipe calls for....tinsel three fourths, and seal fur one fourth...

if im supposed to make 5 wraps of rib, ill only have one wrap on the fur, so where am i supposed to start the hackle?

ive tried to start it in the tinsel, but looked like crap.

i do realize that what looks good in my eye is right, but is there a rule for this kind of arrangement?

I always start my hackle at about turn 2 (even when the dressing says hackle from the tail to the head), in the case of the Sir Herbert I actually have a photo of it tied by Forrest in the Herbert Maxwell edited edition of Francis Francis which shows the hackle starting at turn 3 which - since the publication was overseen by the man himself one would assume it is correct.

HOWEVER TAKE NOTE this hackle start position is on a SIX turn rib... I'm sorry but the '5 turn rule' is a TOTAL LOAD OF CRAP (and absolutely bugs the hell out of me) NO original books I can think of state there that 5 ribs is cast in stone, but say (if mentioned at all) 'usually 5 turns' - ALL the flies on the plate (and bear in mind Forrest were the best commercial dressers of them all) with the SH have more than 5 and most on the other plates.

Indeed the only flies illusrtated in the book that do only have 5 ribs use VERY broad tinsel meaning that fewer turns looks in better proportion - and that's the key 'fine ribs on a big or long shank fly - use more', 'big ribs on a smaller fly use less'.

Sorry you hit my biggest bug bear there!

Dave

I will ditto exactly what Carne said (would have said it first, but he beat me to it :P )

Use as many ribs as it takes. Small fly, maybe only four ribs needed (especially with broad tinsel), long shank hook, maybe 9 ribs are needed. It's kind of a judgement call, but I just use what I think will work best for the particular fly.

As far as the hackle goes, usually about 1/3 up the body from the tail, that could be the 2nd or 5th wrap of tinsel depending on how many ribs the fly has (how's that for vauge :D ).

The only rule of salmonflies is "there ain't no rules" :headbang:

That's what makes it fun! Just try you're best to make a fly that looks good in you're eyes and have fun :headbang:

Aaron

Sign in to follow this