Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
scottishtrout

The Tartan - Dee Fly from Francis Francis

My latest offering - not 100% happy with it - as Mr Francis says not the easiest fly to tie and a real pain to photograph with auto focus! Oh and just noticed as posting the dressing I forgot the Teal!!!!!!! critiques please

post-1851-1169807235_thumb.jpg

Francis Francis – A book on Angling

Tag: Gold tinsel.

Tail: Gold pheasant rump.

Body: Half orange and half scarlet-red mohair laid on sparely, of course; broadish gold tinsel also spare.

Hackle: First a stripped sandy-red cock’s hackle (that is, only one side of it to be used, the other being stripped off), and on top of this, the large blue-grey hackle or feather from the heron’s back and rump; the larger the better, they cannot be too large, as when the hackle is laid on, the fibres are expected to extend from the very head to the farthest bend of the hook. It is an awkward feather to lay on, as are all heron hackles, being very delicate. It should be tied in, to commence from as low down as it can be conveniently tied. so as to leave enough for a good thick brush from the head. If in winding on the hackle, any of the red hackle fibres under it be wound in, they must be picked out afterwards with the needle, and put in their proper position. At the shoulder, a teal hackle of course.

Wings: Two strips of silver-grey mottled turkey (the small mottled feather); these feathers are not easy to get.

When the fly is finished, and before it is properly pressed down into shape, it looks like an enormous spider, or daddy longlegs; it certainly is a monstrosity, though, after all, not such a monstrosity as the Eagle

The Tartan is a strange looking fly and is rather a troublesome fly to dress.

From Mr. Browns Dee patterns.

Lovely fly. I like the smooth transition from one body colour to the other.

The effort payed off very well indeed.

Ethan

Looks great, the teal would definitely set it off though. 20 lashes for you no less!!! Now back to the vice until you get it right!!! LOL

Thanks for sharing the recipe:)

Frank

Sign in to follow this