Fly Tying

for those in the lansing area

This Saturday from 11-2, there will be a free fly tying Demo! Jim Reed,

fire chief, from Howel will be showing off his amazing skills of

spinning deer hair! Jim took one of our beginning fly tying classes

around 7 years ago and now he is one of the best deer hair tiers in the

country. Watch him create art, with a razor blade and some deer hair.

FREE 11-2....come check it out

i have had the pleasure of watching jim spin, and talking to him. he is a great guy and an even greater tier. he doesnt tie the normal deer patterns though. he ties just about everthing under the sun. he has some frogs that have taken him over 100 hours to complete and a bat that is just freaking increadible.

if you are in the lansing area this weekend stop at mchance orvis and watch him tie. for directions check out their site here.

flyfishenvy,

Do you work at that shop? Nice place. I go there every once in a while when I'm in town. Those frogs you're talking about, are they the ones in the display case up front with the spun body, and spun leggs and all? I noticed them a couple weeks ago when I was in there and thought they were amazing. I wish I could make it this weekend, but I've already commited to a fishing trip. I'd like to check it out another time though. Keep us posted please.

Al

no i dont work there, but if you ask my wife she would probably say i live there sometimes smile.gif

yes the frogs in the display case are jim's. there used to be a bat in there too (dont remember if it is back, but i know he took it out so he could send it to some mag company for an upcoming article on his flies).

Damn!! Now I'm really bummed I can't make it!! After seeing those frogies though, I'll jump in and plug this one too. Fella's, If you like bass or pike fishin', deer hair spinnin', or frogs, and you ain't seen these yet, you owe yourselfe the trip. You think you can spin some deer hair? You ain't seen shit. If you've got the time, I'd go if I was you. Love to see some pics and/or reviews if anyone here makes it.

Al

hmm, might just have to bring the camera along with me tommorow then. never thought about posting pics of his flies. some of the guys here would shit their pants if they saw some of them.

hey Sean isnt that the guy I was getting those mousin tips at the Mason expo a couple years ago? If so that guy is amazing!! He has tied some flies you would not even want to use, just place them in a glass box or something and display on the mantle. His bat fly is pretty wild!

I would love to see some pics if you get the chance. Just reading what you guys are saying has me interested in seeing these flies. Have fun with it.

riverboy, if he was tying bats then that was the guy. he is truly amazing. he was telling us about his fishing box. it is a plano 2 sided box full of hair bugs! he says they didnt meet his strict presentation quality procedure so he just puts them in his box.

he showed basic spinning and stacking techniques, but did show how to tie some of his favorite patterns. basic poppers, and dahlberg divers. he also showed us how to blend hair and now i gotta stock up on some sculpin colors for that technique. he has an amazing sunfish pattern (though he says he has never fished it) that would pass for close to the real thing

i didnt get the chance to take pics of his flies, i was to busy taking notes!! but the guys at the shop took quite a few pics of the flies and said they will be put on their website in a couple of days. when they are i will post a link to them, or i will just put them up here.

Yikes what does he do in his spare time dunno.gif ...Police sketch artist in 3 dimensional deer hair?. It sure would make it easier to find the criminals.... ma O man those are beautiful.

actually, jim is the fire cheif for howell. i know he also goes on quite a few fishing trips, and has been tying in the big tyers events the last couple of years.

it is quite amazing to see what he can do, especially since he has only been tying for a little over 5 years now.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.