Fly Tying
day5

Hook poll

Hook type  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is such a deep subject as technology changes and advancements are made in manufacturing. I am one of those guys that are fascinated by the different brands, patterns, sizes, and processes that go into making a hook. I collect them too and the only thing that is for sure is there are no standards from one manufacturer to another. I don't do any production tying so half the fun is picking a hook. If I tie one of davey McPhails flies its a Kamasan, one of Fran Betters, it's Mustad.

From what I can put together is that one manufacturer gets a large share of the market and then does nothing to improve their quality or product while another company takes the lead and then does the same thing. They all seem to have a pattern of doing this. When they reach the top they cut back on expenses and then fall back down as their quality suffers. I don't know how any of them stay in business. So someone ties 10000 flies and spends 1000 dollars on hooks. How many people do that? Of course iam referring to the fly tying hook market. So much of it is marketing too that drives their share of the market. If you buy this hook and this new sparkle cats ass hair you will catch more fish. I bet if I looked real hard I could find some sparkle cats ass fur I bought:)

Speaking of Mustad, I am still looking for some 277's, blind eyes, smaller the better. I would have added size 32 but that would be asking too much.

Great subject

I'm using Partridge CS54 for shrimp and other patterns. I like the hook and that it's hand sharpened.

Gamakatsu F314 for shrimp and other patterns.

Kamasan B170-175 for allround. Mostly nymphs or small streamers.

Most of my fishing is in cold saltwater.

Allen Fly Fishing

These are becoming a go-to for me as well. I love the new styles of barbless hooks. They just need them in smaller sizes, and I would probably be using them for most of my patterns. Excellent quality hooks for the price.

I tie with MFC hooks. Being a designer for MFC you get your hooks at great price. They are sold hook. On a few styles I still use TMC