Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
charlieb

Question about threas

Sorry about mis-spelling thread!

How important is the type of thread used in tying?

I have two 4oz (1 black and 1 white) spools of #33 Nylon Bonded thread that I use when sewing kites. I know I will have to use sewing machine bobbins to hold the thread and can adjust my bobbin tool to hold them. Would this type of thread be ok for tying?

Thanks...Charlie

Many of us started out using sewing thread we "borrowed" from our moms. Sewing thread is usually size A, and quite thick, but it will work. The biggest problem with sewing thread is that it tends to be fuzzy. Your nylon shouldn't have that characteristic.

Generally, you size your thread for the size of the hook. The thread you have is probably good for large flies, such as saltwater or bass flies on size 2 and larger hooks. For smaller flies, though, you will want to find yourself some finer thread. Most of us have dozens of spools, from different manufactures, for different applications. For size 10, 12 and 14 hooks, I generally use Danville 6/0. For size 16, 18 or 20, I use Uni-Thread 8/0 or, sometimes Benecchi 12/0. For size 4, 6 or 8, I like Danville 3/0 or flat waxed nylon. For larger flies, I use Uni's Big Fly, which is nearly size A. Size A rod winding thread also works well on large flies.

Many of us started out using sewing thread we "borrowed" from our moms. Sewing thread is usually size A, and quite thick, but it will work. The biggest problem with sewing thread is that it tends to be fuzzy. Your nylon shouldn't have that characteristic.

Generally, you size your thread for the size of the hook. The thread you have is probably good for large flies, such as saltwater or bass flies on size 2 and larger hooks. For smaller flies, though, you will want to find yourself some finer thread. Most of us have dozens of spools, from different manufactures, for different applications. For size 10, 12 and 14 hooks, I generally use Danville 6/0. For size 16, 18 or 20, I use Uni-Thread 8/0 or, sometimes Benecchi 12/0. For size 4, 6 or 8, I like Danville 3/0 or flat waxed nylon. For larger flies, I use Uni's Big Fly, which is nearly size A. Size A rod winding thread also works well on large flies.

Very well done, phg! Thanks for refreshing this "thread" . . .

There's probably nothing wrong with using this thread, but bear in

mind that fly tying thread is pre-waxed.

This probably comes into play during the whip finishing process more

so than at any other time - non-waxed thread will have a tendency to

not slip through so well, causing breakages when that final pull is made

at the end of the whip, just prior dis-engaging the tool (or bodkin if hand

whipping).

Of course, you could pre-wax your thread just prior to whipping to avoid

this problem.