Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
maddog48

A Question for the Spey and Dee tyers

A friend of mine tied a type of a leech pattern that had an olive mallard tied on like a collar and swept back. It was a really neat looking fly. The problem is, he has left the area for awhile and he's not available to ask how the mallard was tied on. It did resemble the spey look. So ... how would I collar a Spey Mallard Leech? :dunno: BTW ... the tail was olive marabou, an olive dubbed body and a gold T-Bead head. A neat looking fly. :yahoo:

Mike

There's a couple ways, but the easiest is just to tie it in at the base of the feather. Then with the feather kind of facing foward, hold it by the tip(base is tied in), and pull the barbs backwards. Wrap it just like you would hackle and make sure to stroke back those barbs as you go. Collar fullness depends on the number of wraps. Then to get the barbs to flare back just take a few wraps over them. The further back you wrap over them, the more streamlined they'll be with the fly. Hope that helps

Tie it in by tip, you'll get much better results and since the stem is thinner at the tip it will help minimize bulk at the head.

Rub you thumb and forefinger down the stem to "bend" the fibers opposite their natural feathers.

Hold the tip of the feather next to your tie in point to help gauge the length of the hackle fibers and where you will clip the tip off.

After you gauge your length, "bend" the tip fibers back to the natural position. Clip the tip of the feather off but leave a small triangle shaped stub to tie onto the hook shank.

I fold the hackles rearward as I wrap the hackle.

Good luck,

Frank

post-609-1170360081_thumb.jpg

post-609-1170360106_thumb.jpg

post-609-1170360245_thumb.jpg

post-609-1170360291_thumb.jpg

I tie mine in by the tip, not the base. The reason for this is that the stem is smaller at the tip and will take up less room.

I would tie it in by the tip also but with one side stripped and make about 2 full turns and use your fingers to stroke it back as you turn.

As in, tie it in, make a quarter turn stroke, another quarter turn, stroke, etc... etc... At least that is how I do it for a collar.

I find the opposite. If you tie the feather in by the tip, and either fold or remove one side of the barbs. with the curved side down and facing back. Wrap the feather 2 or 3 times stroking everything back The mallard will flow and tie in nice as long as you try to use the thinner part of the stem.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I tie most collars this way, the feather folded and wrapped twice or stripped as shown and wrapped 2 or 3 times. For a throat the fibers are drawn to either side and down. either held with a coulpe of spiral wraps or mositened with salavia.

Thanks everyone. I have a couple different ideas to look at now. It's appreciated. :yahoo:

Mike