Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
arkfisher

Materials list?

Hey guys,

I am just getting into artistic type tying. I've tied a couple, and I think that they're alright for my first ones...my digital camera is broken, or I'd post. ( will come later) I was wondering about a good resource for a materials list...what types of feathers and such... I killed about a dozen wood ducks this year, so I have plenty of those and I also have plenty of pintail, teal, and mallard. I am looking for a good jungle cock cape, but what larger feathers do you use? Where can you get them? Thanks for the info guys!

Richard

the best resource i know of is feathersmc.com, hands down, john will know what your talking about......

not to discourage you, but if your a working stiff like me, even the affordable stuff is expensive. so my advice is take it slow, and tie the crap out of a said pattern, and make it worth it.

there can be a ton of different feathers, patterns, real, and substitute. and theres a ton of money to be spent, but in the end, we all just want to tie a fly.

so pick a pattern man, and have some fun.

Mike

one place for all your shopping needs

feathersmc.com

he has most of everything you'll need and johns a great guy, as a beginner your in luck, he loves helping people also

Bud

Have to disagree with the boys their opinion on John - saying he's a 'great guy' ain't right... It's just not complimentary enough.

Dave

ya know, someone that has material, (lots of it), and knows whats what, is ronn lucas sr., he just happens to quarterback the monthly meetings here on FTF, and its a great time. got one coming up this sat. you should join in, cant think of a better way to get involved...

yo dave,

a few months ago you posted a very detailed and comprehensive list that would be perfect for arkfisher...do you still have it saved somewhere?

yo

The old The Salmon Flyer magazine had an article by Jeff Welker titled "Basic List of Materials for Salmon Flies" (or something like that). Jeff breaks down each material and gives the most commonly used colors.

I don't have the web address for the old copies of The Salmon Flyer with me right now, but you should be able to find it using one of the search engines.

Charlie Vestal

The Salmon Flyer can be found in the fly tying section of the Federation of Fly Fishers web site.

Hey guys,

thanks for all of the info. Yeah, I've already noticed that this stuff is pretty expensive. Here is a picture of my first 4 that I've tied. The 3 smaller ones are on a #6 Tiemco and the larger one is on a #2. The picture isn't great...I had to borrow a camera to take the pic and it's lower resolution, but if you can give me any tips, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again guys!

IPB Image

I can see some definite potential there. I really like the 2nd from the left with the crest turned the wrong way but following the wing. Look back for a post by Jeff Skory from a couple of weeks back. There was some great info there for a beginner.

yo dave,

a few months ago you posted a very detailed and comprehensive list that would be perfect for arkfisher...do you still have it saved somewhere?

yo

I actually managed to find the relevant bit - obviously it's tailored to classics (creative materials being of course whatever yoiu crave to strap on a hook).

The list is long and obviously depends on what you want to tie, take it in steps and get the basic materials for some simple flies FIRST and DO use substitutes (like speckled turkey in place of bustard for instance) whilst you're learning:

All sorts of flosses (Uni Rayon is cheap and as good as any), hackles and seal fur (you can use seal or SLF in place of all other dubbings like mohair, wool and pigs wool if you want). Basic colours you'll need are: Hot Orange, Light Yellow, Golden Yellow, Light Powder Blue, Dark Blue, Red, Claret, Black, Green, Fiery Brown (fur only) and Golden Olive, plus in hackles Grizzle, Coch-y-Bonddu and Badger.

Tinsels: Oval Gold and Silver in Very Fine, Medium and Broad, Flat Gold and Silver in Fine, Medium and Broad, Medium and Broad in Satin Embossed (you can dispense either with the flat or the embossed and use one or the other exclusively), then Lace Twist (a rope made of oval - you can make this yourself or just use wide oval instead).

Herl: FINE black ostrich and peacock, plus red and black wool

Fancy Feathers: Golden Pheasant Tippets, Crests, a Golden Pheasant Skin (cheap and the best way to get the red and yellow body feathers you'll need), a Kingfisher Skin, Indian Crow Sub (any old brilliant red-orange hen hackle tip will do), Blue and Yellow Macaw Tail (can be bought cheap in 1" sections). Finally Jungle Cock.

Fancy Tails: Golden Pheasant Centre Tail, Amherst the same

Turkey Tail (goose can be used too but is harder to work with): White Dyed: Orange, Yellow, Blue, Red, Green and Claret.

Natural Turkey Tail: Dark Mottled, Light Speckled, Grey Speckled, White Tipped, Cinammon

In addition: Peacock Speckled Wing feathers, Guinea Fowl Hackles and Wing or Tail feathers (buy a skin, http://cgi.ebay.com/1-X-WHOLE-GUINEA-FOWL-...6QQcmdZViewItem at less than $5 this is by far the cheapest anywhere) also light blue dyed guinea hackles as a sub. for Jay.

Duck feathers: Bronze Mallard, Barred Wood Duck, Teal for hackles, Teal (or better pintail or widgeon) for shoulders.

Hooks: I'd suggest you start at about 3/0 as the materials are easier to get and cheaper and it teaches tying discipline (which will mean you do learn quicker and better in the long run) to work at this size (in actuality original salmon flies were rarely bigger than this), get blind eyed and add 'gut' - 2 or 3 strands of twisted nylon makes a good substitute (warmed up in the oven under tension to 'set' the twist) - however you can get old gut casts cheapo off ebay - all you have to do is soak them, loop them over a hook and twist them and dry them (I use an old hnad drill) under tension (though you will need to soak the section you're tying on in your mouth to soften it otherwise it will crack when you put it on).

The above list covers about 3/4 of all Salmon flies.

Materials: Contact John McLain, feathersmc.com (a fantastic site all round and John is a diamond) before anyone else - kensawada.com and flytyingdk.com and people like Creekside are useful too

As the boy Inman mentioned, try to get to watch an expert - it's amazing how much you pick up even in a few minutes. Michael Radencich's book 'Tying The Classic Salmon Fly' is absolutely essential reading and is easilly the best book on the subject (you can get it pretty cheap if you hunt around on the net).

Useful sites:

www.flytying.sitestogo.biz

www.jpdessaigne.com/Lesmouchessaumon/Mouchessaumon_sommaire.htm (there's some good tutorials on here)

ronnlucassr.com (again great tutorials from that fine gent Mr Ronn Lucas)

www.bestclassicsalmonflies.com

www.theclassicsalmonfly.com

www.classicflies.net

www.bas4sure.com (stacks of Marvin Nolte flies on here)

The pinned features on the forum also have loads of useful stuff too and you can get pretty much any question/query/problem answered by one of us lot.

Er that's it - DON'T be too daunted by the above, if you're a regular trout lure, wet or streamer dresser you'll have a fair amount of the above materials already and I'm sure you can scrounge a fair amount off us lot. You WILL need to practice A LOT, don't launch straight into something like a Jock Scott coz you'll simply give up, though I DO always recommend you tie specific patterns rather than inventing them when you first start.

Cheers

Dave

Sign in to follow this