Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big Mac

Essential hooks and materials

I don't have alot of hooks or materials in Dad's old kit and I have to make trip for some new supplies. I'm just wondering if there are some basic hook sizes & styles that every newb should have. Same with materials, is there some basics that i should have. Target species are; great lakes steelhead, brook trout, smallies, pike and maybe even some walleyes. The choices are a little overwhelming and I don't really know where to start, the stuff is expensive too. I've mainly been tying streamers and nymphs.

Heres a pic of a wiggler i did yesterday.

post-10087-1170426260_thumb.jpg

Hi just got a list from fellow member Alex C. great to get you started. :dunno: :( :D

Hooks

3XL Streamer Hooks in sizes 2-4-6-8-10(use these for your hoppers too)

Mustad 3906(nymph hook) sizes 10-12-14-16

Mustad 94840 in sizes 10-12-14-16-18

TMC 200 in sizes 10-12-14-16

Hackle(check out keough tyers grade or whiting silver grade saddles)

Grizzly

Cream

Brown

Black

You can get more colors but hackle isn't cheap for the most part. These 4 will get you by

Feathers

Pair of mottled Turkey Quills

Wood Duck Flank(Mallard dyed Wood Duck is a good substitute)

Brown, Black, Yellow, Olive, White Marabou

Pheasant Tail

Peacock Herl

Hair

Natural, Black, Olive, Yellow, Deer Body Hair

White, Chartreuse Buck Tail

White Calf Tail

Synthetics/Others

White Poly Yarn

Brown Antron Yarn

Medium Dumbell Eyes

Medium and Large Gold and/or Silver Bead Heads

Red Yarn

Black, Brown, White, Olive Chenille

Gray, Olive, Cream Black, Brown, Caddis Green Coarse Dubbing

Same Colors in a fine Dubbing

As you begin to study the materials that make up particular fly patterns, such as, say, a Clouser Deep Minnow or an Elk Hair Caddis, you'll begin to realize that no "basic list of materials for newbies" will be comprehensive enough to ensure you'll actually have the materials on hand when it's time to sit down and tie specific fly patterns.

Thus, I usually advise beginners to instead decide on a very specific list of the next several fly patterns they intend to tie and buy only the specific materials and hook types and sizes needed to tie those particular patterns in the sizes they think they will need. This way, they're assured of buying stuff they need and that they will actually use. Even if you adopt this apparently limited approach, I think you will be surprised (if not shocked) how expensive your trip to the fly shop will be.

-- Mike

That is a pretty complete list. If you check with your local shop as to what patterns are working, just make sure you have the materials to tie them with as well. :)

Timenet, thanks for the list. Hairstacker you're right about being shocked! :bugeyes: and Iconnu thanks for the advise. I just got back from grabbing a few odds and ends $100+ later heres what i got.

post-10087-1170439403_thumb.jpg

They were out of a bunch of stuff, so I'll have to make due with what I got for now. Between Dad's old stuff, and my new stuff, I should be able to stay busy for a while.

post-10087-1170439551_thumb.jpg

Thanks again.

Oh No!!!!

you forgot the next big purchase..... A bigger tying storage box! :D

I usually try to pick up just what I need for a specific fly that I pick out ayt the fly shop.. no sense tying it if its not gonna catch anything around where you are fishing. Fishing trips cost more than fly tying materials.

Good luck

Jon