Fly Tying
Carlin

A few photos from this past weekend

I'm still trying to get the hang of my Canon 30d and I was able to spend some time this weekend taking photos of all kinds of stuff and thought I'd post a few of the not-so-sucky shots. The light was pretty poor (what do you expect from Alaska in the winter! :D ) so most were taken at high ISO settings.

All the photos (except the crystal shots) were taken with a cheap zoom lens that I picked up with the idea of helping me decide which big $$ zoom lens I want to get. It is a Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro that I paid $200 for from Amazon. Really a pretty good lens considering its cost!

Here is a shot of the back end of a redpoll taken from inside the cabin (214mm, 500 ISO, f/5.0, 1/500sec):

IPB Image

A pine grosbeak (300mm, 640 ISO, f/5.6, 1/160sec):

IPB Image

A group of chickadee scattering from the feeder (119mm, 1600 ISO, f/4.0, 1/1600sec).

IPB Image

A shot of the moon that turned out much better than I would've expected, especially since I didn't have the assistance of a tripod (didn't want to carry it all the way back to the cabin on snowshoes). Taken at 300mm, 800 iSO, f5.6, 1/640 sec.

IPB Image

And a shot of ice crystals that had formed on the outside of the cabin windows. Taken using a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens mounted backwards, 250 ISO, 1/250sec. Actual size of the area in the photo is about 1cm across.

IPB Image

Great photos, There is a small table top tripod, ultrapod minipod, that has a velcro strap attached to one of its legs.

(you will have to scrool through this to find them)

http://www.bkaphoto.com/pdfs/Tripod_lores.pdf

I think this would be great attached to a colapasable wadding staff, for fish pictures when you are buy your self. In the self portrait and timer mode on a digital. You could include yourself holding the fish.

It would also be great for things like you have mentioned or on a long hike where any stick could be used and tripod easily attached and removed.

Those a great shots Chris!

Have you tried a flash extender, such as a Better Beamer, to punch some light onto birds on cloudy days? The flash also puts a catch light in the eye. That said, I see a lot of nature shots that have too much flash for my taste, looks un-natural, and the tricky part is getting just enough but not too much. I leave the flash EV on camera set at 0 and do all of my adjustments on the main flash unit, typically set at -1.3 for daylight fill. One thing I've learned is that flash values set on camera, (for using a built in flash) combines with the settings on my flash, so, if I have the camera flash set at -1.3 and the main flash set at the same, the EV is -2.6.

I got a bunch of new white pelican and egret shots this morning, shooting birds gets real addictive.

I really like your ice crystal shot. Do you use an adaptor to mount your 50 1.8 in reverse?

Thanks guys!

I didn't even think of trying the flash. In fact, I have an external 430ex flash for the camera as well that might have been just the ticket. I'll give that a whirl next time and see how things go. Thanks Graham.

I really like your ice crystal shot. Do you use an adaptor to mount your 50 1.8 in reverse?

Yep. Got a 58mm converter for something like $10 from eBay. Works like a charm. I also picked up one that converts 58mm to 62mm so I can add the 50mm f/1.8 face to face with of one of my other lenses to increase the magnification significantly. It was too much for these shots, but I'll be using it in the future.

Here is another crystal shot for you:

IPB Image

LOL... I think you've been bitten by the camera bug.. Sure is fun time.

Those crystals are too cool.

Sounds like a great setup with the converters, and I can even imagine you trying Kenko extension tubes to increase magnification.