Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

bleaching feathers

I know that there is a thread on fur going in the fly tying bench but is there a good way to bleach feathers. And what type of dye do I use to dye them after they are bleached(hair dye or rit like cloths dye)

I use a very similar process to this with the exception of using 40% volume peroxide and Wella products as opposed to Clairol simply because Wella is the easiest to obtain where I am.

Depending on what feathers you wish to bleach you may have to be very careful as the bleaching solution may cause some damage to the barbules and hooks used to marry the barbs together. If it's capes then you should be fine.

Also, make sure you wash them thoroughly before and after bleaching. Normal dish washing detergent is ok but I prefer Venpol or Synthrapol as they're considerably less "sudsy". :dunno:

As far as dyes go I mainly use Veniard dyes but have started to use Jacquard acid dyes too and had very good results with them. There is a product in the US called Fly Dye but I'm afraid I've no experience with it.