Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

Copperhead

here's a late version of the Copperhead bug I mentioned in another post. I didn't get the ziggy-zaggy pattern I used to get, and my density is still down- I think maybe due to very old dried out hair. Eyes are not at all needed, but make for a pleasing bug. The fish couldn't care less. This pattern wasn't any more effective than an eyeless, solid colored bug, but it's fun to make and fun to fish. After trimming, I used the old Whitlock trick of painting the body with diluted flexseal. When it dries (couple hours) the body has a stiffer consistency and absorbs very little water. I don't think the fish will grab it and hold on to it as long as they might with an untreated hair body though. Counterpoint is this makes it MUCH more durable.

this is on a #2 mustad 3366.

Tail: bucktail, orange with some brown topping, plus a few strands of flash. whipped off and superglued.

Skirt: orange deer hair

Body: orange and red deer hair, spun and stacked to try to get offset red blotches with orange separating them. It helps if the different colored hair has the same consistency. Mine doesn't. If the different color hair has the same consistency, it would make for a nicer bug. Next few I make I think I'll add a bit of black and see how they look.

enjoy, and don't let deer hair be intimidating!

oh yeah, and the inspiration for the name of course is the snake, one of the prettiest species I've ever seen.

post-10077-1170641806_thumb.jpg

Good Job! Another great tie.......it's just like ridin' a bicycle.....you never really forget how.....

thanks for the compliments, I hope someone will be inspired to start bustin' thread and exploding deer hair all over the room again, or to start.

BTW I have no trouble casting this style in #2 and #1 on my 7wt with a WF line. They cast well and don't twist too bad, unlike some feather-tail bugs.