Fly Tying
VERN-O

Parachute Troubles

ok....it seems that I haven't tyed enough parachutes lately.........here is the problem.....Every time I go to wrap the thread around the post and the hackle stem (to make the support for the post and secure the hackle stem).......I make about 3/4 of turn of thread, and it slips right off the post.....I've tried holding the post with the opposite hand and dropping the bobbin, and switching hands....very complicated....and very frustrating....someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.........this cabin fever is driving me nuts......I can't tie anything right lately, and the temps here are too cold to fish (I can't believe I just said that, but it's true)

thanks in advance

Are you wrapping the post with thread first? Wrap the thread up the post tie in hackle at base and wrap down not up. I also us a little cement on the post. Hope this helps.

One thing that helps, every turn you make with the thread, dip below the hook both on the near side and the far side with your bobbin. Once you get a couple of turns, the post should be stiff enough that it won't bend and let your thread slip off. Then you can build up enough turns above the bottom of the post.

Another is to get one of those parachute attachments for your vise. It holds the post from above under a little tension while you make your wraps. I never had one, but used one a few times and didn't really like it - kept getting in the way.

I'm sure other folks have some tricks that they use, too.

Good point, flyweaver. I assumed the trouble was with the post itself. I also will put a SMALL amount of glue on the wraps around the post. Too much, and it will wick up the post material and you end up with a solid post.

Me, too...or foam. I usually do what you have said, hold on to the end of the post with my right hand (I'm right handed. I never trim the post to the correct length until I'm through tying the fly. It gives me more to hold onto) and make 2 turns over the lowest part of the post using my left hand to work the bobbin, and then - still holding on to the post - cinch them down tight. Then two more and cinch down again. Normally by then you can let go of the post and lightly wrap a couple more using your right hand. Grab the post again with your right hand and pull the wraps tight with your left. When you've put on enough thread wraps, attach your hackle feather on to the top of your wrapped post and tie it on by working the thread down the post and the stem. Usually you don't have to hold the post to do this. Then add the drop of cement and dress the body of the fly. At least this way works for me and it takes less than a minute.

Also - I turn the vise so the post is parallel to the ground in the normal position that the hook is in when you're tying. This makes it much easier.

Joe

I had the same problem when I first tried parachutes. When you're ready to wrap the hackle tie it on and then take the fly out of the vise and put it pack in with the eye toward the ground. Has worked great for me and you can see if you're going to have any extra barbs sticking out when you tie off.

Hope this helps.

Fatman

Oh ya I agree with " the Fatman" 150% . With the eye of the hook eye pointed toward the ground or desk you can rap thread like you would on a bare hook. You can even whip finish no problem. Make sure you use small thread llike 12/0 or spider-web.

Hmm i cant say i have shared your pain with para's. I just wrap up the post with thread (just a fudge more then the hackle will go up) and then wrap from the top down. Never used thread on the post either ( cant say it wouldnt be a good idea though). I will probably start doing that befo rtoo long as i can see after a few fish, the thread would possably creep over the thread wraps and unwrap over the post. :dunno: -Jason