Fly Tying
landl

WAPSI marabou

Gang,

I am always looking for the perfect tail for the Wooly Bugger. I have heard that WAPSI has marabou made for buggers. Any comments on performance?

L

i would skip on the marabou for a bugger and go with artic fox tail. it has the same if not more movement than marabou and is more durable. marabou will start to pull out after a few fish and artic fox stays if tied in tightly.

In the last year or two I've gotten away from the standard wooly bugger and ESL patterns and now lean more toward the rabbit strip (bunny leach) style for both flies. I find them just as quick and simple to tye, cach just as many fish, have every bit as much (if not more) more action in the water, but most importantly to me, much more durable in comparison. Good luck.

Al

Wapsi's bugger marabou are the end plumes and they are great. I use them for everything that I put marabou on, they are neatly strung and much easier to handle than feathers.

Unless you are wrapping it (as in a gartside type wrap) I don't see any use for marabou "feathers" anymore.

FW

Good Day,

All previous points well made. Both artic fox and bunny stips are certainly stonger materials than marabou. I like to use these materials on larger flys and the marabou on smaller mini streamers or such as there seems to be less bulk when tying them up. Also like the bou as tails on attractor nymphs as well.

Steelie