Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sky-pilot

The "fat floodtide" Colonel

Hey, made a new today. Satisfied with winging, but rest of it is bad. Too fat tag and too long hackel, I must get me some other cocknecks. Almost all of the feathers have the same fibre lenght. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: This one goes in my fishingbox for sure, and maybe some BIIIIG fish wants it hehehe :) :) :) Please feel free to comment. :)

IPB Image

on your tag, a trick i use or mental note is when i'm building the body, before applying materials, i always watch the shape and taper to the end of the tag closely. it's the foundation of your build, as in all art forms, when your foundation has smooth lines and curves, your build will follow those lines.

the rest of the fly is wonderful. i always love a fly tied with fullness to it though in a strange way have never been able to get that "fullness" . i can't seem to nail the technique myself.

i'm pretty much crappy when it comes to classics and relish everything outside the box. maybe one day i might get lucky and find a seat next to a fellow like Dave carne or Davie Mcphail and possibly learn something.

so with that said, i think the overall look of your fly is wonderful

Bud

I don't usually comment on the Salmon forum as there's only so many times you can say "that's bloody marvellous" and sound genuine but with this fly I'd refer back to the recent thread here

Your fly looks great to me pilot not because it's a work of art but because it actually looks more authentic and fishy than many of the supremely manicured patterns I see here. Not to say that they aren't brilliant examples of technique but your fly has that certain something that others seem to lose in the attainment of perfection.

fishy? antique-y? call it what you want but ain't nothin' wrong with this one--has a great look and vibe to it

Sign in to follow this