Fly Tying
garetjax

Dark laquered turkey tails?

I just use Flexament with a brush on the back.

Do you apply the Flexament to the slip once its cut from the feather, or do you apply the Flexament while the slip is still attached to it?

Also, about how long does it take for flexament to dry?

I cut each slip first then use my bodkin to scoop up some flexament. I hold the feather slip over the bottle and dab it with the soaked bodkin. I then preen the feather between thumb and finger a couple of times, usually soaks bowth sides that way. It doesn't take long to dry. All the excess drips back into the bottle. You can just dunk the feather slip in a new bottle and preen or use a small brush. Once its dry you can coat it again and or add some more when it is tied on. I like to add a couple coats of head cement or sally hansen's once it is tied in. It protects the feather/flexament and adds a glossy sheen.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...amp;showid=4371

I usually put the slips in a bull dog clip or simmilar to hold the feather and let air circulate around it. Like I say flexament does not take long at all to dry

I cut each slip first then use my bodkin to scoop up some flexament. I hold the feather slip over the bottle and dab it with the soaked bodkin. I then preen the feather between thumb and finger a couple of times, usually soaks bowth sides that way. It doesn't take long to dry. All the excess drips back into the bottle. You can just dunk the feather slip in a new bottle and preen or use a small brush. Once its dry you can coat it again and or add some more when it is tied on. I like to add a couple coats of head cement or sally hansen's once it is tied in. It protects the feather/flexament and adds a glossy sheen.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...amp;showid=4371

I usually put the slips in a bull dog clip or simmilar to hold the feather and let air circulate around it. Like I say flexament does not take long at all to dry

Thanks for the detailed instructions!

When you say that you preen the feather between thumb and forefinger, you are talking about forming the wing case, correct? Like you would on a stonefly in a V-shape?

Also, is Flexament the same as head cement, and have you ever used wingburners to shape your wingcases, and where do you go to get bulldog clips at? Can you provide a link?