Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

Snowshoe Rabbit Comparadun

I walked into my local fly shop and the manager gave me a snowshoe rabbit foot. He said it was rare and it floats very good because of the natural oils. He also said to try using it in a comparadun. I was also thinking it would do well as a parchute post. Anyone else ever used this or have any good ideas to use it for?

Heres the fly I tried

IPB Image

IPB Image

Up in the Adirondacks, Fran Betters created a fly using ONLY snowshoe hare feet - it's called the 'Usual'. pretty much the same wing you made, but add the guard hairs for a tail, and use the underfur from the foot as dubbing - a great emerger pattern...

Yep, feel free to use it for posts, too :D

They have gone up in price but they far from rare.

I like them as a posts on parachute emergers. They also make great emerger with a antron shuck.

I do love the Usual the first 2 years of fly fishing it was my goto fly.

Joe Fox

Wholeheartedly agree about snowshoe wings on emergers. Floats well, has a scraggly, buggy look.

Virtually every emerger I tie has either snowshoe or cdc wing (the snowshoe can be tough on smaller flies).

Nice tie... :) I've tied & fished the 'Usual' here on the Farmington, but I tie it with orange thread since snowshoe hare is alittle translucent. The Browns slam it just as the sun begins to set.

I tie a LOT of flies with showshoe hair. I use it in place of CDC a lot. I also tie lots of midges in sizes 26 - 32 and it's a bugger to work with hackle at that point.

Here are some bugs that I like to fish.

post-8336-1171385955_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171385971_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171385989_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171386012_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171386029_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171386042_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171386053_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171386066_thumb.jpg

post-8336-1171386078_thumb.jpg

I bet there is more than one snowshoe rabbit in a :wheelchair: with snowtires now and pretty soon lots more to come.

Think they might have little tin cups or signs that read "Will look cute for carrots." or something similiar?

Awesome looking flies people!