Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Undertow

A few material questions

My birthday is coming up and my mom asked me what I wanted. I told her I wanted to order some fly tying materials. Since Im on this big clouser kick I want to order some bucktails in various colors. Im currently looking at cabelas, bass pro, orvis, barlows. I want big ones that have alot material, which one of these companys have the higher quality. Barlows has them the cheapest but Ive never ordered anything from them so I dont know the quality of them. Orvis has them but they dont look big. Bass pro and cabelas seem to have good ones but no size chart and it seems like the dyed part is small. Also what better mirror flash or flashabou or anything like this.

Thanks in advance

Comp

I don't tie a bunch of Clousers .. if any .. but why don't you take a look at the J Stockard listed here on the forum? They are a site sponsor and the guys that have used them say it's a first class operation. Don't limit yourself to just bucktail either. There's another post here about different materials for Clousers. I think either Crystal Flash or Flashabou are fine from what I've read about Clousers.

Mike

One thing to consider too.......instead of buying complete bucktails, look for a variety pack that has pieces of bucktails w/a variety of colors.......for the price of one or two complete tails, you can get a dozen or more pieces, all different colors! A little bucktail goes a long way.......especially if you dress the clousers sparse as they were intended........I second the J.Stockard motion made by MD48.........good prices, great service, and the site sponsor!

Mike

Ive oreder from stockard good guys. They will be added to my list. I dont tie clousers the way they were intented. I need a little more gerth on my clousers.

Undertow

Edit: Just checked out stockard. They got bucktails on sale so they will be gettin my business. They also got zonker strips on sale. Squirrel tales for spring wigglers also. Thanks for reminding about stockard guys but my mom is gonna hate you when she gets her credit card bill.

Personally, I never mail order tying material. I like to go through it myself. I would say to anyone be wary of any shop that won’t let you take things out of the package to look at. Besides if you don’t frequent the local shops…. And it’s all about the same price. That said, both bass pro and cabelas can have very good material if you sort through it.

Jack

Barlow's is awesome!! You can get the same stuff that orvis slaps their name on for a dollar or more cheaper. I'ver ordered numerous items but not their bucktail, but I bet it is great.

Can't beat J. Stockard either!!

Chip

undertow

what do you mean by big?

what length do you want the individual hairs?

what sre you fishing for?

for smaller lengths then any tails will do however if you want to tie long clousers that many guys up in the northeast tie for sand eel imitations then you have to look through what ever you can...long fibered hairs 5-6 inches long are not that easy to find...(if you do have this stuff PLEASE don't cut then shorter...i'll trade up with you...

so?

I didnt really mean length, none of my clousers are 5-6 inches long maybe three at the most. I just noticed at the orvis shop back home that they had some huge bucktails there. This isnt exactly what Im looking for. I want a buck tail that has alot color to it. Some of the bucktails Ive found seem to have a very large area of brown on the top that is not dyed. The store by where I lives sells bucktails but the dyed part is tiny, its mostly brown hair. I want bucktails that have alot of dye to them. I found them on J. Stockard. I hope that answers it for you.

Undertow

Typically if I am buying fur or feathers (hackle), I like to see what I am buying to be sure that I am getting quality stuff. If I can find a recommended supplier that is cost effective......just as good. J Stockard has some great stuff and will continue to business with them, quality is great and the service is outstanding!

Another vote for Stockard.

Since my local shop went belly up I've ordered all of my stuff from them

and each order has been shipped in a timely manner and is correct when it arrives.

As far as quality goes, be it fur or feather, they simply won't carry it if it doesn't

measure up - so order with confidence !

another good place to buy supplies is www.hookhack.com. i just bought an order of 30 dollars from them. lots of deer hair and 100 hooks and zonkers and dumbell eyes, and a bunch of god stuff. they sell WHOLE bucktails with ALOT of hair on them.