Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pujic

G.Loomis Stream Dance Rods

Hey guys,

I had my first look at the new G.Loomis Stream Dance GLX and Metolius rods at the Toronto Spring Fishing Show just this past weekend. I must say they are pretty impressive. A lot like their saltwater counterparts, the Cross Current series, but geared with special tapers for specific smaller stream / river applications.

The GLX models are noticably faster and a touch lighter than the Metolius line however both boast some great action depending on your casting / fishing style.

Personally I am looking to add a nice 3wt to my collection this year and I think that the 8'3" Stream Dance GLX may be it. Some of the smaller trout streams we have here in Ontario demand a shorter rod so it may do the trick.

I know these rods are brand new, probably not even at most retailers yet however has anyone else seen them? Any thoughts / opinions? All but 1 of my rods are G.Loomis so I was wondering how other manufacturers compare such as Orvis, Sage, St. Croix, etc... Thanks in advance!

I do have a loomis rod and a sage rod and I personally like the sage rod better. Of course I paid more for the sage rod and they are different wt. rods. Just giving my opinion. I am adding to my collection and I am looking at another sage. Good luck. blink.gif

Over the last 20 years I've owned at least one rod from every major manufacturer. These are my preferences:

1. Thomas & Thomas Horizon - My 4 wt. is by far, my favorite rod.

2. Loomis GLX - the 7 wt. is a GREAT bonefish rod.

3. Orvis Superfine - 6 1/2 foot, 2 wt. sweet little rod, perfect for small streams. I also have a TLS 8wt. a good snook/redfish rod as long as you don't try to push it.

4. Winston BL5 - I'm not crazy about it. Too soft in the tip for a saltwater rod.

You'll notice I don't mention Sage. That's because I think they're over priced and over-rated. They may be a decent trout rod, all my experience has been with their saltwater sticks and I personally won't own one.

I know nothing about Loomis rods but didn't they recently change their warranty policy? I thought that is had become less accomodating.

I own Sage, St. Croix, and Redington rods. As far as an all around rod. I belive that you have to go a long way to beat St. Croix. Great rod and great prices. Thought the next saltwater rod I purchase may indeed be a G. Loomis, based on the fact that they seem to be everywhere in the salt. Flip Pallot, and Steve Rajeff are some of my heros {along with Whitlock}. But Flip and Steve helped to design the crosscurrent rods. The only thing I dont like about the rods is that UGLY cork grip!! YUKKKK!!! But maybe it will grow on me.

I have the Stream Dance GLX, Max line speed 9' 5wt. Took it out for it's maiden voyage last saturday. It was the sweetest experiance. The flies went exactly were I wanted them to, the setting was crisp. What a pleasure.

I have thrown the presentation. You will not be dissapointed.

Warning: you will have to turn your back to the river when you walk up. The fish will jump right out to get on that rod. wink.gif