Fly Tying
garetjax

Scissors that stay on your fingers while tying...

Are there any scissors that comfortably stay on your hands while you tie? I hate having to pick up and lay down my scissors every time I want to use them. I have rather large hands and fingers, so I need something that isnt too tiny for me to hold. Any suggestions? The only scissors I have found so far are the ones that Al Beatty uses in THIS video.

The thread is HERE. It's "The Basics" tying video, first one in the list.

I use the Anvil Bio-tek free thumb scissors. They never leave my hand. I have also used the Wiss snips that AK best uses but they weren't as comfortable to me.

Thanks

I just palm my scissors so I don't have to set em down when not using em. slide one ring on your ring finger, then when you need to cut, slide ur thumb in and cut. Never need to set ur scissors down.

Dr. Slicks 4" are worth a try. I dont have to put them down. It saves me time, but it also lets me concentrate on tying and not looking for my scissors.

You might not believe me, but it's worth taking a chance on. Get a pair of Fiskers (not sure of the spelling). Put your ring or middle finger through the loop and the other side just goes against your palm. The blades are thin and they cut right to the point. Yo hardly know you have them in your hand. These are the BEST I have ever used. Yo can get them at AC More crafts store for about $7.95.

I bought 6 pair at a flea market for a buck a pair. Only have 2 left and will not part with them (gave the other to my friends). The only draw back is that they are not serated baldes.

IPB Image

Check em out.

Conehead

I dont know if the Fiskars mentioned has the replaceable blades but at Walmart in the sewing section I saw a simmilar pair that does. I had the scissors on the hand at all times down pat until I started preening with them and clipped off the wrong thing. I also went to wipe my face and stabbed myself just under the eye. I now use the Dr. Slick tweezer type scissors, that rest in the palm, for most of my tying.

Ya know, Ive tried keeping scissors in my hand for years, like the big guys, but have never been able to get used to it. They get in the way of my bobbin control. I palm the bobbin to vary the thread tension as needed, like palming a reel. Tried different scissors, but none work.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Dr. Slick Razor Scissors have a couple of models with oversized holes, they are about the only ones that I can keep in my hand. Good Luck

Like Chase Creek,I too have tried for years to tie keeping the scissors in-hand,and have not been able to get used to it! I am rather "ham-handed" as well,and also find that it raises hell with my bobbin control. Anyone else care to weigh-in on this??

Sulphernut

Ya know, Ive tried keeping scissors in my hand for years, like the big guys, but have never been able to get used to it. They get in the way of my bobbin control. I palm the bobbin to vary the thread tension as needed, like palming a reel. Tried different scissors, but none work.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Ya, me too. I go in spells with them in my hand. Seems unconfortable at first but you kind of get used to it but I always seem to back to picking them up and down.

Bob

I tie with the Anvil Mini's in hand as well. My hands aren't real big and they're a length that they don't get in my way when tying but easily accessible by shifting my thumb. I just put one loop over my ring finger and I'm good.