Fly Tying
day5

THE CARP BOX

So Im starting my list of carp flies for the spring run (carp) after the run (steelies). Craws, Buggers, foxie clousers, coon clousers, Damsels, cotton wood and mulberries, and of coarse my new go to that I came up with all by my self with out any influence from redwings1 the foxie bastard!! ;) So what is your go to fly for carp??? Im going to fill a bugger barn just for them!!

#8 woolly worm- red tail, brown body, griz hackle, no flash, no weight. Soaked down with crawfish scent. Carp are carp. Don't purposely ignore their highly developed sense of smell/taste.

I've slowly been filling a bugger barn for carp this winter. So far the only time I've hooked up with a carp was on my uncle's pond a couple summers ago on a Michigan Skunk Dry Fly. Black Chenille Body, Black Deer Hair Wing, and White Legs, tied on a #10 94840. I was fishing for panfish and saw it cruising the shallows, that was what I had on so I cast out in front of it and it came up and took it. It made me look like an idiot and needless to say I didn't have it on very long. But I've read in a few articles that that type of dry will produce for them so I have a dozen in my carp box for them.

Other than that I'm just going by what I've read on the net and in a couple magazine articles.

Artic Fox Buggers

Artic Fox Clousers

Clouser Nymphs

Passion Fruit Mulberries

Rainy's Popcorn Balls

Rainy's Carp Hex

Sweet Corn(a yellow glo bug trimed to the shape of a kernel of corn, and yup, I'm gonna soak em with some real corn before use)

Red Fox Squirrel Nymphs

Morris' Furry Dragons

Griffiths Gnats

Check out this page, it really got the creative gears turning for me.

Rainy's Carp Flies

I think I'm gonna spend more time going for carp than trout this year :lol:

I've never been anywhere mulberry trees grew over carp, but that sounds like a blast. People are always going to sneer at carp for being bottom feeding foreign invaders, but they are really an untouched sportfishing resource. I've sight-cast to tailing carp in rivers, and hooked quite a few. Very challenging, plus they routinely get BIG. I've never had one jump while hooked, if they did that they'd be more sought after than any other fish for sport. I've never caught one on a surface fly, but I have caught one on a surface plug (?!) and on a silver Rapala... my bro caught one over 20 pounds once on a minnow. who would have known they'd act like predatory fish? :dunno:

Favorite bait for them as a kid was strawberry jello flavored doughballs... my bro's favorite was just a wadded up piece of white bread with maple syrup on it.... if we could just tie some flies to imitate those, we'd be in business. :headbang:

~ H's Carp Driller

~ Black, brown, olive wooly buggers

IMO, carp are the most difficult freshwater fish to catch. Caught my first one last year...thought I had a run-a-way truck on the fly.

Thom

You guys are giving me some great ideas for flies for carp. I've already tied up some carp hex's and some dragon nymphs but I'll be sure to tie some damsel nymphs, mulberry, and cottonwood flies. Will carp take nightcrawler flies? I have a pattern that I came up with for smallies and want to use them on the golden bones this year.

I've never been anywhere mulberry trees grew over carp, but that sounds like a blast. People are always going to sneer at carp for being bottom feeding foreign invaders, but they are really an untouched sportfishing resource. I've sight-cast to tailing carp in rivers, and hooked quite a few. Very challenging, plus they routinely get BIG. I've never had one jump while hooked, if they did that they'd be more sought after than any other fish for sport. I've never caught one on a surface fly, but I have caught one on a surface plug (?!) and on a silver Rapala... my bro caught one over 20 pounds once on a minnow. who would have known they'd act like predatory fish? :dunno:

Favorite bait for them as a kid was strawberry jello flavored doughballs... my bro's favorite was just a wadded up piece of white bread with maple syrup on it.... if we could just tie some flies to imitate those, we'd be in business. :headbang:

I once caught a carp ona inline spinner while fishing for steel....I must have snagged him deep in the mouth?!?!?!?!!!!! right!!!!

Alex great site thanks !!!

ridderbos...You're lucky you signed up for the Carp Swap 'cuz you'll be getting one. ;) I'll try and get a pix posted.

Thom

Im not kidding I snagged? a carp deep in the mouth with a spinner....Shhh but I think he hit it!

The mulberry 4 mcflyfoam balls tied in a diamond pattern on a size 8 3906b mc fly foam will float untill it gets soaked then it will sink slowly. I may tie up a few with 5/32 bead (black) just for kicks :headbang:

post-2608-1171493759_thumb.jpg

You guys are giving me some great ideas for flies for carp. I've already tied up some carp hex's and some dragon nymphs but I'll be sure to tie some damsel nymphs, mulberry, and cottonwood flies. Will carp take nightcrawler flies? I have a pattern that I came up with for smallies and want to use them on the golden bones this year.

Yes and no....they seemingly have problems 'slurping' the pattern into their mouth effeciently enough to be able to get a good hook set. That is what I've found from my experience....I have tried it, maybe you or someone else will have better luck.

sage you need a smaller trebble hook the big ol salmon ones do not work as well on carp

sage you need a smaller trebble hook the big ol salmon ones do not work as well on carp

:ph34r: what are you wearing for me tonight sweetheart?