Fly Tying
Graham

FTF Fly Tying Contest winners

I have a hard time finding the words to completely express how impressive I found this year’s competition flies to be. Utkin’s Realistic category winner is astonishingly well tied and what a brilliant concept, a wasp burying a hook stinger through a caterpillar. Wow. And Redkid winning this year’s most creative category is no surprise; I was blown away when I first saw it. Three stages of a stonefly metamorphosis, all on one hook, immaculately tied is a treat to admire. And congratulations as well to Ulf with his fantastic swimming nymph winning a custom rod from Midwest Custom Fly Rods. I feel so happy for you guys, you are certainly deserving of your wins and I take my hat off and bow to you.

That said, and directed towards the realistic tyers, I truly found the gorgeous salmon fly tyed by France Fly to be the most beautiful, elegant, and perfectly tyed fly in the contest, in fact one of the most beautiful flies I have ever seen, anywhere, even in my book collection.

What a great contest it was!!! The flies and participants are amazing!

Cheers, three cheers, and a hooray,

Graham

I agree with Graham, it was a impressive bunch of flies in this years contest! I had a great time browsing trough all the category winners and every singel fly was amazing! A big congratulations to all category winners and a special congrats to Utkin who's realistic fly was something never seen before! Great stuff!

Thanks Graham for the congrats! I am not sure though if I won the rod or not, because it stated "to the overall winner for the trout categories" and since it was three different trout categories I don't know yet which fly who wins the rod. But I am very happy anyway, because I never expected to win and I feel extremly grateful to all who voted for my fly.

Ulf

I'm with you on this one Graham,great bunch of flies!! I said it before and I'll say it again, thoese salmon flies were great!!! I realy have a lot o respect for thoese guys :headbang: , maybe some day I'll get into tying something like that. Congratulations to all the participants and to the winners. Utkin tied a reealy great looking fly,never thought I'll be above him in the overall, and what can I say about France Fly's fly.. perfect!? :dunno: .Cerrtainly, from my poin of view it is! Ulf, your fly realy looks great,you realy deserve that prize.. how about version number 2 :D

Thank you for the congrats Graham! can't wait for the next year contest, maybe I'll start tying a little earlier, Christmas isn't the best time for tying..

Mihai

Thanks alot Mihai! Your fly was something I have never seen before, absolutly amazing!

Well, here is version 2 of mine :rolleyes: This one is a little more realistic looking, only difference is the legs, but I think that using patridge like i did on the fly in FTOTY will work just as good, probably just a matter of personal flavour.

Ulf

post-2830-1171715905_thumb.jpg

post-2830-1171715952_thumb.jpg

Ulf to determine the overall winner out of the trout catagories we choose the fly that had the most votes overall out of those 3 catagories, which was yours. So you are the winner of the custom fly rod ;) Hope you enjoy it and get many years of use out of it B)

Redkid- I was simply blown away by your entery with the stonefly stages on the hook.

And congrates to all that entered this years contest, they all deserved to win.

Steve

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: Now I don't really know what to say... this is most unexpected. Steve, I will care for this rod like nothing else! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Ulf

Redkid, that fly was straight out bad azz!

I really enjoyed seeing something that creative, off the hook and perfect :headbang: Many props on that tie!

Now only if you could do a step by step. Just jokeing! :lol: I'm at awe on that tie.

Utkin, How did you do the caterpillar? That whole fly was the real deal! The job you both did this year was steller to say the least and Sooooo impressive. :cheers:

Brent