Fly Tying
fly~by~night

feel the need to vent

I call upon the gods to tell me WHY are goose boits such a pain in :butt: ? I cant say enough just how much stress these seem to be, trying to split tails for stones with big hands. OK feel better now :P

Anyone find themselves in the same boat with same material, or differnt? List your demon material.-jason

deer hair was the bane of my existence for nearly a year.....tying anything smaller than an 18 with any kind of material still throws me into fits of panic.....the key is technique and patience, patience, patience....i know, i know, easier said than done..... :P

I feel your pain brother. I cant get them dang biots tied on the hook just right. Their either too big for the hook or too small for my fingers.

I have pretty large fingers myself and I know what you mean. For me it is small eyes and hot glue guns.

Biots are alot easier for me after alot of fooling around with them, so I'll tell you what I do, though it is probably going to be something you have already tried.

I dub in a very small amount of dubbing at the hook bend to help seperate the biots. The I take one at a time and tie them in. If you have a rotating vise, bring the fly up so the side you are fastening to is on top, then wrap the biot with three wraps of thread. Perform the next side the same way. Don't wrap really tight just yet and you should be able to gently pull one to the same length as the other if needs be. If I have to pull them to adjust length I use tweezers.

Anyway I don't know if this helps, but I feel your pain. :)

Biots drive me nuts!! I really enjoyed the article in the recent Fly Fisherman mag where the author described wanting to find a good substitute and doing so. I like the look of biots but I'm gonna try something different too. I won't give up on them, but if I can use something else and have the fly be just as effective, I'm gonna.

deer hair was the bane of my existence for nearly a year.....tying anything smaller than an 18 with any kind of material still throws me into fits of panic.....the key is technique and patience, patience, patience....i know, i know, easier said than done..... :P

Am I seeing a ghost, or is this really BDH? :hubbard:

The white ring neck pheasant feathers, when used as subs for I.C. toucan or chatterer. They are miserable and always want to move or twist.

I find tying biots on as a tail, tricky. I make a small ball of thread and try to line the tips up of the biots and tie them on with a couple loose wraps together, at the bump, adjusting as needed. Then tighten down

I was in the Dollar store up the hill from our houe a week or so ago and found some stuff that may well replace biots for some things, antennae etc. They are nylon strings that come in quite a few colours, including clear, that have the consistency of paintbrush fibers. I was going to try them on some stonefly nymphs, but see no reason why they wouldn't work :)