Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Crayfish....more great info

There has been quiet a bit of discussion about craws on the site lately, so I have done a little scientific research and wanted to share the info with you fellas so that you may better understand when, where, and how to use craw patterns. Let's start at the beginning:

As every fisherman, fly and bait, knows craws make up a staple food for almost every species of fish in North America. Rough fish, sport fish, and even minnow species feed on craws with great gusto. And every angler should have at least one type of craw pattern in his stream box.

Let's take a look at the craw's habitat. For sake of discussion, we will concern ourselves with the stream crayfish (Cambarus bartoni). Stream crayfish are unlike thier terrestrial cousins in the fact that they spend 98% of thier lives in the water. They prefer to live in colder streams with rocky beds and silty areas. They feed on algae, vegetation, aquatic worms, nymphs, and even small minnows. They become particularily active after the water temp reaches about 50 degrees, however, they can be seen feeding and moving aobut in water much colder. Their colors will vary depending on the water temp, the stain of the water, thier internal health and the stage of thier molt. Just like birds shed thier feathers to grow new plummage, the craw must molt or shed its shell to grow. This is when the craw becomes a "soft craw", a very popular bait for fisherman. When the craw is "soft", he is vulnerable to fish as he no longer has a hard exoskeleton to help protect him. Fish will key on them during this stage and feed ferociuosly. One theory is that when the craw is in this stage, it is easier for the fish to digest them.

Craws have varying life cycles, depending on the species (there are over 1,000 species worldwide). The life span of most species east of the Continential Divide is 1-3 years but some Pacific Coast and European subsets may live as long as 6-8 years. They are hearty creatures and can tolerate a wide variety of conditions. They will burrow in mud flats during droughts and will sometimes freeze almost completely solid in the winter. Thier bodies have a very basic circulatory system, but it also produces a mild "antifreeze" like chemical that allows it to withstand bitter cold temps for long periods of time without any damage to its internal organs. I was once told that you can freeze one, place it on the counter, let it thaw at room temp and it will eventually begin to show signs of life and craw away. Well, I tried it. We placed a large craw in a bucket of COLD water for about 15 minutes. Then we placed him in the freezer for an hour. We then placed him back into the bucket and within a few minutes, he was moving around again. Simply amazing.

When fishing with craw patterns, vary the style and color of you fly to match the craws in the streams you are fishing. Pay particular attention to thier size, color, and movements. The colors will change throughout the year, and you will find that your best success will come when you follow these changes accordingly.

Wherever you find craws, you will find big bass and big trout. Smaller craws are a favorite of trout because the smaller pincers are easier to swallow. With bass, the pincers do not seen to be a real factor, as they have more than adequate pie holes to accomodate a couple of claws.

Look for major hatches of craws beginning in the end of April (South and Southeast) to June (North and Northwest). And keep in mind that most craws are nocturnal....don't be afraid of throwing craw patterns after dark, especially for trophy browns and smallmouth.

Among fly anglers, the two most common craw imitations are the WoollyBugger and a specific craw pattern. Use your imagination for you own specific pattern, but keep this in mind: most craw patterns should be kept simple. It has been well documented by many notable fly anglers that the more elaborate and laboriuos patterns DO NOT out fish a simple pattern.

During the day or in cooler weather, fish craw patterns in riffles, the edges of pools and around cover. They will tend to hold in these areas until the water begins to warm. In the warmer months, fish them SHALLOW after dark or early morning...craws will move into shallow areas of the stream during these times to feed, prowl, and mate. The fish will follow accordingly.

Craws will scuttle along the bottom very leisurely until it senses danger, then it will use strong blasts from its tail to escape. Learn to mimic these behaviors with your retrieves. Varying between these retrieves will almost certainly produce viloent strikes!

Have fun with your tying and tie a few craw patterns this season. You may just take that lunker trophy!!

Tight Lines, fellas!

I have to agree with the sentiment that simple patterns outfish more elaborate patterns. For me, a brown over orange clouser has always been the best crayfish imitation that I've used.

I`m at school right now, and don`t have time to read it now, but I`ll check it out later. -redneck

Billy...you ar correct...I might be mistaken, but in KY alone I think there are 40 species found

Mark...if I don't have a simple craw with me, I throw a brown or olive bugger at 'em....slow drags followed by a few quick strips of the line ususally does the trick!

I go with my Notta Bugger in Brown w/gold Krystal Flash. I got my biggest Smallie on it last year in an area I'd been fishing for hours catching White Bass and hadn't even seen a Smallmouth 'til I switched from White to Brown. Simple is the way to go. (So how come we all tie a dozen different types of craw? rolleyes.gif )

So when you guys are using buggers as crayfish imitations, I'm assuming that you're using weighted buggers down near the bottom?

QUOTE (Dble Haul @ Mar 4 2004, 03:07 PM)
So when you guys are using buggers as crayfish imitations, I'm assuming that you're using weighted buggers down near the bottom?

Yup! I slap some lead wraps on 'em to get them down and when I'm in an area that isn't TOO snag filled, I let it drag bottom until either a fish takes it or I lose it.

I may try some with Bead heads this year.

BDH, are you tellin' me that some people tie because... they like it? wink.gif

What about claw size? I make small claws when I actually make them 'cause I read somewhere small claws are less imtimidating to the fish.

LB,

I mostly use rabbit strip for claws and I like 'em fairly big mainly because of the extra action of the rabbit strip. I have caught more Bass than I can count with some big pincers sticking out of their throat. They way the consume a craw "tail first" I don't think the size of the claws matter much. Smallmouth mostly ambush their prey so I don't think they give them much of a chance to fight.

Now if I was a Smallmouth I would be more scared of a 3" Hellgrammitte than what I would any sized craw.....them little devils are mean.

I normally don't come into the warmwater forum, but came off the link of BDH in the coldwater area.

Dbl haul, shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's my favorite combo for crawdads here. Caught alot of summerrun steelhead and cutts on that pattern. Just wade wet and have a blast. I normally will tie a bit more exact looking. Usually a dubbed body with rabbit pinchers. But has always been a hot pattern, especially in some of the clear conditions we have in the NW in some of our streams during the summer. I've actually tied up jigs in same color, with stacked not palmered marabou. With the orange bottom/brown top. Has been a killer.

Think my favorite is the real thing in a large crockpot full of water. headbang.gif Our streams can be clogged full of them. We'll go out and collect bucket full of them and steam them. Hmmmmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Mmmmm... Craw tails, rice, chopped green and red peppers, a touch of Jalepeno peppers, diced celery, minced tomato, a spoon or two of onion powder, some garlic, mixed together and served over homemade Buttermilk biscuits... user posted image

Hey Will, I read somewhere online that supposedly a guy once caught a Rock Bass with a Helgie hanging on to its side after having bitten it!

cool, thanks for the info BDH.

maybe you should start up an entomology forum for things articles like this.