Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ashby

It's finally over and done with

Well I'm finally done with all the studying and having no life due to the test. I took it on the 13th and now have to wait until July to find out if I made it. As long as I don't have to waste my time studying any more, I'm fine.

Then turned around on the 14th and took the wife into town and bought her a brand new fully loaded Explorer XLT with leather and everything. This thing is beautiful. I used to work for this place so they gave me $9500 off the price and everything else at cost. We pretty much stole it, she is happy and that's what matters, right?

Anyway so I have been pretty busy since the test and tomorrow is no exception. I have to work on my car tomorrow. I have to put in two motor mounts, front bearing, tie rod and then I'll be done. That should take the day up. Sunday or Monday I hope to get a few flies tied up seeing how it will be raining those days.

Oh yeah, happy Valentine Day to everyone. Great job on all the flys for the contest as well. I didn't get a chance to vote and I'm sorry for that. Congrats to all the winners, from what I saw it was a win well deserved. Also a very hard one to pick as well.

Well I'll stop babbling, I just wanted to stop in and let everyone know I'm still alive.

Ashby

Ashby,

Glad to hear you are finished with your test. I hope you did well. The new rig sounds pretty sweet. Sounds like it's just about time to start goofing off and having some fun. Are you back at Beale? If so, great weather we're having lately. Get out and enjoy it if you can.

Later,

Steve

I'm not sure what they call them now, but when I got out over 15 years ago the promotion tests were the WAP's tests. Is that the one you had to take? If not WAP's, what are they called now?

Mike

Hey guys,

Yes, the test is still called WAPS test. It is still as much of a bear as it has always been. Seems you can study your butt off for it, walk in to take the test and BAM!!! You just forgot everything including your first name :dunno:

I was hoping to get some flies done this weekend, but the work on my car took a little longer than I expected. Took it all apart, put it back together (the whole left drive train for the bearing) and the brakes were gone. Bleed them, no luck. So I started thinking. Took a look, and yep! When I pressed the sealed bearing out, and the new one in I bent the mounting flanges for the brake caliper. This would keep the brake on the left from sitting flush against the disk giving no braking power :wallbash:

So I spent about an hour with a hammer under the left side beating the living crap out of these two flanges and finally got them strait enough to be able to drive it without fear of no breaks. I'll have to take an air hammer to them later to get them more along to where they should be.

So other than that, my weekend was good. Oh yeah Steve, I'm back and have been since November. Just getting ready to get gone again. I leave again in late April early May. The good news about going a little early this time is, I'll be back before the fishing is over, thank God. Dustin, trust me bud, as soon as I get the chance those flies are going for a swim.

Ashby

Where you off to this time? I know about life on the road. When I was active I was assigned to a mobile combat communications group. I was TDY for a little over 2 of the 3 years I was assigned to that squadron. I spent my time in the sand during the Iran hostage debacle. From there it was 6 months in Maine putting in a new radar site, Volk ANG base in Wisconsin training guard troops and then a fun filled 15 months in RI during the Patco strike. The road can be fun when you're single like I was. With a family ... there ain't no fun times being on the road.

Mike

Hey Mike, I've not been off this whole time since Nov. That would be a dream, though I have been off quite a bit since then for all the holidays. Man we get a day off for spitting in the wind (make it a holiday) lol. As for time on the road. Yes, it would be so much easier if I were single, but not as rewarding when I get off that plane and those little ones jump all over me at the airport and it's WWF without roaps. The time away, it's four months out of the year, the wife and I can handle that. We just don't want to go past that four months. Right now I should be putting in at least four months a year for a while unless they cut my spot.

Ashby